[SOLVED] Molex connector problem ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello everybody.
I am writing from Italy.
I have an ATX PSU with various output cables including a 4-pin Molex which I think is for the mobo power supply.
But my micro ATX mobo has an 8-pin connector.
How do I go about solving this problem ?
Your help will be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot and best regards

Mobo: Asus Prime B364m k
PSU: Delta Electronics 350 w GPS-350EB-200 B
ram: Samsung DDR4 4Gb.
GPU PCIE card : (arriving) ASUS EN 8400 GS SCHEDA GRAFICA VIDEO SILENT PCI EXPRESS 512 MB GPU GRAPHICS CARD
CPU: Intel i5 8500
Case: HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT

Last edited:
I found a socket with various pins and I detected the PWR+ Ground ones and I put a jumper there but no luck
Ram is standard desktop DDR4. So at least that is compatible.

You do not put jumper on power switch pins. You connect momentary switch to it.

Where do you get those crazy ideas?
cutting psu cables,​
cutting fan cables,​
shorting CLR_CMOS pins,​
shorting PWR_SWITCH.​
All of those are bad ideas. Seems like you're just trying things on random.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Thank you Sky Net Rising. Proper power switch will arrive Monday and GPU card will arrive a couple of days later. I will come back here when all is available and tell you how it is going. Thank you very much and see you soon.
I added cable because the PSU ones were too short initially. I used my knowledge of traditional electronics.-

Last edited:

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Last edited:

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
You still haven't changed PC case and PSU.
Also rear fan is installed in wrong orientation.

Other than that I don't see any glaring issues.
Thank you so much. I spent about 300 bucks on this PC which, for me, is a fairly high expense because I have a small pension. That is the reason why I do not want to spend more than that. I will correct fan orientation. Now it is late, I live alone, I will come back with news tomorrow morning. Thank you so much.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
I gave the PC a very quick try but it still won't work. I don't know why and my opinion is that although you gave me a very good hand you cannot do much more until you could have it by you. I don't know. There is nothing else I can do to try a solution so I guess I will have to take it to the technician and see what he says.
The PSU by itself works, I tested it by connecting the green and black cables.

The PSU by itself works, I tested it by connecting the green and black cables.
Did you check all voltage rails on PSU?
PSU fan spinning doesn't mean - it is fully functional.

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
The PSU voltages are ok. There cannot be a short because I insulated mobo and PSU from the case still it looks like no current is arriving to the mobo.

Recently a PC was given to me that was completely dead but I connected the little mobo test card aznd it showed FF which I think means Failure. But in this one of mine the test card shows nothing.

Last edited:

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
I unplugged everything except for the new PSU, the new CPU fan and the PSU 8-pin power connector. The mobo's yellow led is lit but the thing is: it looks like the mobo is faulty, yet it is difficult for me to believe it.

Did you try assembling pc outside of pc case?

Do that and have only these parts installed/connected:
motherboard,​
cpu,​
cpu cooler (with fan),​
single ram module,​
psu.​

No graphics card,
no front panel connectors,
no sata cables / sata drives,
no m.2 drives,
no usb front panel connectors.

Show a photo, how you have connected everything.

Try to start the pc by jumping power switch pins.

Last edited:
Power switch doesn't seem to be connected to correct pins.

You said, you have read user manual.
Front panel connectors can not be connected on random. You have to connect them exactly as in diagram or it won't work.
I though, this was obvious.

EcFdlhT.jpeg

Last edited:

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
I am sorry but the way I connected it was also with GND. I could not see the difference. Anyway, I changed it to the way you said and now the CPU fan turns for a while and then stops. If I switch the PWR switch on again, again the fan turns for a little while and then stops.