[SOLVED] Molex connector problem ?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello everybody.
I am writing from Italy.
I have an ATX PSU with various output cables including a 4-pin Molex which I think is for the mobo power supply.
But my micro ATX mobo has an 8-pin connector.
How do I go about solving this problem ?
Your help will be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot and best regards

Mobo: Asus Prime B364m k
PSU: Delta Electronics 350 w GPS-350EB-200 B
ram: Samsung DDR4 4Gb.
GPU PCIE card : (arriving) ASUS EN 8400 GS SCHEDA GRAFICA VIDEO SILENT PCI EXPRESS 512 MB GPU GRAPHICS CARD
CPU: Intel i5 8500
Case: HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT

Last edited:

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
Hello again. I received some money and taking advantage of Black Friday I bought a new mobo. I carefully inserted the CPU and all the rest but still no luck: the PSU and CPU fan turn for one sec and then stop.

I bought a new mobo. I carefully inserted the CPU and all the rest but still no luck: the PSU and CPU fan turn for one sec and then stop.
Do the same thing again.

Assemble pc outside of pc case.
Connect only essentials:
cpu + cpu cooler,​
psu - 24pin +8pin CPU power connectors,​
motherboard,​
ram,​
power switch,​
pc beeper.​

No usb devices,
no front panel connectors,
no sata cables
no graphics card.

Show a photo of your setup.
What model motherboard did you get?

Test, if it beeps without ram installed.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
I think I made it. I read the leaflet that came with the mobo and it seems I was connecting the 4 pin Power cable in the back 4 (of the 8) Power socket pins instead of the 4 front ones. Does it sound right?

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
I don't know how to check the Bios version if the build does not work but I would be surprised if it was old because these mobos are made for 8th and 9th generation Intels. Anyway, I know the appropriate Bios for a i5 8500 is 0212 but I don't know how to check. One thing I can do is take only the CPU to the technician and verify that it is OK.

Found this:
PRIME B365M-K BIOS 2208 Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS.
It looks like the wrong Bios
i5-8500 is supported with the release BIOS. Can't go wrong there.

W11 has nothing to do with it because you can't even enter the BIOS. There's a hardware issue somewhere. You've changed the PSU and motherboard. The CPU and RAM are the next to rule out.

ferguson1951

Honorable
Feb 19, 2017
The cpu socket is perfect. I am not sure about the Ram because it comes from a fried PC, so I am buying a new one from Amazon. The Ram is the only thing that worries me because most things in this PC are new and the CPU was properly alligned during my tests. Let's have a little patience, we are approaching the end of the story. I have not taken the CPU to the technician because he wants to have the full PC . I will propbably do that test once my doubts about the Ram are cleared.