Nov 28, 2021
Hi, i recently purchased an MSI MPG B505 GAMING PLUS motherboard for a new build I am working on. I have two CPUs in mind. However, they both support different BIOS versions for this motherboard. Is there a way for me to find out what BIOS version my motherboard came shipped with without having to hook it up to another CPU etc. ?

Solution
hmmm alright so how could I do that ,like supossing I bought the cpu that is supported by a later BIOS version.How could I make it work ?

Most importantly, go into the link I sent above and/or the disk or manual that came with the board and look up the exact procedure for doing a BIOS flash via USB on that board.

In a very general sense you will use the CPU support document to determine what BIOS it needs to be on. You go read ALL the notes contained in the BIOS revisions list for the motherboard and make sure as to whether you have to install all or some of them in a specific order, or can jump ahead to the one you want. Once you download and unzip the BIOS to the USB it will basically be something along the lines of...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This the motherboard you're speaking of? If you have the motherboard in front of you, there should be a sticker located at the top of the motherboard, near the Ram of CPU socket on the PCB, which should state the BIOS version the motherboard came shipped with. If there are no physical stickers on the motherboard, we might have to go old school with the BIOS version identification.

What CPU's are you working with?

Last edited:

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
hmmm alright so how could I do that ,like supossing I bought the cpu that is supported by a later BIOS version.How could I make it work ?

Most importantly, go into the link I sent above and/or the disk or manual that came with the board and look up the exact procedure for doing a BIOS flash via USB on that board.

In a very general sense you will use the CPU support document to determine what BIOS it needs to be on. You go read ALL the notes contained in the BIOS revisions list for the motherboard and make sure as to whether you have to install all or some of them in a specific order, or can jump ahead to the one you want. Once you download and unzip the BIOS to the USB it will basically be something along the lines of putting in the USB and watching for light flashes or combinations along with hitting the button at some point before, during, or after.

Very important to read that instruction set and notes closely. If you are unsure ask your specific questions before attempting to do so.
It is advisable to do BIOS updates on a battery backup type power supply. Make sure there are no storms or high frequency of power outages at the time you select to do this, if you don't have a USP (etc.) You mess up the BIOS flash and it can brick the motherboard.

Solution
Nov 28, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This the motherboard you're speaking of? If you have the motherboard in front of you, there should be a sticker located at the top of the motherboard, near the Ram of CPU socket on the PCB, which should state the BIOS version the motherboard came shipped with. If there are no physical stickers on the motherboard, we might have to go old school with the BIOS version identification.

What CPU's are you working with?
Hi ! Thank you .

Yes that's the one , I couldn't really find something that could help me identify the BIOS version ,I will make sure to check again and keep you posted as I will have to do it again later

I am thinking about a Ryzen 7 3700x that being the one that is supported by the very first BIOS update listed on MSI's website and a Ryzen 5 5600G being the one that is supported by a later BIOS version.

Last edited by a moderator: