Apr 28, 2016
My brother just recently finished his Ryzen build with the specs as follows

Motherboard : MSI gaming plus max b450
Graphics Card : MSI GTX 1660ti 6gb
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
Ram : 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200mhz
Power Supply : Corsair 430 watts
SSD : Samsung 250GB

The Computer will not post with his CPU. The EZ Led for the CPU turns on and then it just sits there. I have tried everything. Booting with 1 ram stick and a graphics card out of case, 2 ram sticks, my trident z ram both or one. I have tried without the ram, and as well tried without the graphics card.

I also reapplied thermal paste on to the CPU and reinstalling it multiple times did nothing and resetting the bios also did nothing.

Now for the interesting part of all of this.... One might think that at that point either A, the CPU is dead or B, the MOBO is dead... But in fact it's C... Neither are dead. I tested the 2600 in my tomahawk MAX mobo in my build with 16Gb of trident z ram a GTX 1070 and a 650 watt power supply... it posted instantly. I then tested my Ryzen 7 3800x on his supposed "dead mobo". It also posted, with the 2 corsair vengeance LPX ram sticks and the 430 watt power supply.

So this leads to my question... WHY THE F*** DOES THE GAMING PLUS MAX NOT RUN THE 2600

Solution

The Computer will not post with his CPU. The EZ Led for the CPU turns on and then it just sits there. I have tried everything. Booting with 1 ram stick and a graphics card out of case, 2 ram sticks, my trident z ram both or one. I have tried without the ram, and as well tried without the graphics card.

I also reapplied thermal paste on to the CPU and reinstalling it multiple times did nothing and resetting the bios also did nothing.

Now for the interesting...

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018

Now for the interesting part of all of this.... One might think that at that point either A, the CPU is dead or B, the MOBO is dead... But in fact it's C... Neither are dead. I tested the 2600 in my tomahawk MAX mobo in my build with 16Gb of trident z ram a GTX 1070 and a 650 watt power supply... it posted instantly. I then tested my Ryzen 7 3800x on his supposed "dead mobo". It also posted, with the 2 corsair vengeance LPX ram sticks and the 430 watt power supply.

So this leads to my question... WHY THE F*** DOES THE GAMING PLUS MAX NOT RUN THE 2600

Try updating the bios first , to get compatibility issues out of the way. The B450 SHOULD support all the Rynz 5 all the way up to 3rd. gen.

edit>
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX
7B86vH5 is the latest version.

Reactions: kicker3025
Solution

kicker3025

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
Try updating the bios first , to get compatibility issues out of the way. The B450 SHOULD support all the Rynz 5 all the way up to 3rd. gen.

edit>
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX
7B86vH5 is the latest version.
That actually did fix the problem. Although what's really weird is that the only way I could have got it to boot was again, using my ryzen 7 3800x.... which is what the bios update was supposed to give support to, but it seems that it was literally backwards. his 2nd gen didnt work on the mobo. If I didnt have the second cpu this problem would have never been fixed. Thanks for the tip though, again, it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.