Question MSI RX Vega 64 Air Boost Power State LEDs not working

Mar 17, 2019
I bought my MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Boost about 2 months ago. Installed it in an older DDR3 PC and worked perfectly. I built a new PC a little less than a month ago, and it's in that build now, and again, it had been working perfectly up until a few days ago, when the power state LEDs on it just stopped lighting up. As far as I can tell, other than the LEDs, it's still functioning fine. The MSI logo is still lit up, gaming performance seems unaffected, and everything else seems totally normal. Frankly, I could really care less about the LEDs themselves, and I'd just as soon ignore the issue completely, but I'm concerned it may be indicative a potentially larger issue, and ignoring it just feels like a bad idea.

I'm running windows 10 (home I believe)
Specs are as follows
Motherboard: Gigabyte Auros B450 Pro Wifi AM4
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X (no cutom overclocks applied)
GPU: MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 Air Boost
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) TridentZ 3200mhz DDR4
SSD: Samsung Evo (860 i think) 250gb (boot drive)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2T
PSU: XFX Pro 850w non modular

Any help is greatly appreciated

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
First of all, nice build lol it is almost indentical to mine except for the motherboard (Prime X-470 Pro), my SSD is a TB and I have the 2700 instead of the 2600x. From the sounds of it, if there is no performance lost, then i think it is just a faulty LED function. I would try contacting MSI directly and just see what they say because it doesn't seem to be a common problem as far as what I could find on for information.

Mar 17, 2019
First of all, nice build lol it is almost indentical to mine except for the motherboard (Prime X-470 Pro), my SSD is a TB and I have the 2700 instead of the 2600x. From the sounds of it, if there is no performance lost, then i think it is just a faulty LED function. I would try contacting MSI directly and just see what they say because it doesn't seem to be a common problem as far as what I could find on for information.
Thanks! Yeah I was really proud of it, and thought I did a pretty good job of performance to $$$ ratio considering the deals I got. But unfortunately, this update is not good news...
Update: Experiencing GPU crash of some kind. Monitor connected via Display port randomly loses signal to the GPU in the middle of games. (has happened twice now). Second time this happened, I took my headset off to hear the fan blasting louder than I've ever heard it. It's a blower style, so I felt the air coming out and it's just blasting literally cold air out. All the while, I still had sound, and continued to talk in discord and everything else appeared to be functioning fine. After really scouring online, I found someone with the exact same issue, and I believe they said their card ended up completely dying after a while. =*(

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
It may have to do with your display port cable itself or the connection. Have you tried plugging into another display port or using different DP cable? Also might be woth trying the HDMI port if you havent tried that yet

Mar 17, 2019
It may have to do with your display port cable itself or the connection. Have you tried plugging into another display port or using different DP cable? Also might be woth trying the HDMI port if you havent tried that yet
unfortunately not the case. When this happens, the GPU will suddenly start blowing its fan at 100%,
(cold air). Also, restarting my computer fixes the issue until the next time it happens; ruling out cable failure.