[SOLVED] Must disconnect AIO CPU cooler in order to POST

Feb 4, 2020
Hello,

Basically every time I turn on my PC I have to force shut it down by holding down the power button, disconnect my AIO, start it again, shut it down again and restart it again.

Then it'll finally POST and boot into login screen.
This started happening right after I installed my AIO, the H100i from Corsair. Now if I want to boot up I have to disconnect it(the AIO from the SATA cable chain on PSU), power the PC on with it unplugged and it'll boot up.

If I do all this without disconnecting it, it will just not reach POST. Ever.
Also, the computer WILL power up, AIO plugged in or not, everything spins, lights, everything starts running, but the monitor will light up and just go to 'No signal'. Peripherals turn on as well.

Another note: When it finally does reach a successful boot up, I hear the GPU and fans spin a bit louder than a failed boot up, then they just slow down to the regular speeds.

I highly doubt its my PSU but I haven't left that possibility out.

I have checked on all my hardware power draw and it doesn't draw over 675W at overclock.
I've tried adding another SATA cable chain and let it run on it's own cable, didn't work.
Tried changing around connections for fans and pump, nothing.
I have a total of 9 fans, a few on mother board maybe 3 and the rest on a fan hub.

I've attempted a few forums, nobodies been able to help. Please, if you have any insight, I would highly appreciate it.
Thanks!

Specs:
CPU: R9 3900x
GPU: RTX EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra
PSU: Corsair RM850x
MOBO: ASUS Prime - P X570
RAM: 4x8GB G-Skill Trident Z Royal 3600MHz
AIO: Corsair H100i
9x Case Fans.
M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb
M.2 XPG 8600 1TB
HDD WD Blue 7200 1TB

Solution
If it never works, personally I would get the best air cooler. AIO always need to be changed because of pump failures after a couple of years and often the warranty is only 1 year I think. The difference between wc and the best air cooler is juste a couple of degrees.

Not worth the hassle of changing components as its surely not the motherboard if its booting without the AIO.
Feb 4, 2020
Can you try booting your PC with the side casing off and all of the case fans disconnected.
You won't need them running with the side off and it will show if there is a problem with having so many connections.

Andy
Thank you, I will try that today.
It's a Lian Li o11 case though and normally people run that many fans so I hope that isn't it.

Feb 4, 2020
So it always boots without the AIO?
Aren't your temps high without the AIO?
Yes, the AIO must be disconnected from SATA power to successfully reach POST. It'll boot up fine with it connected, it just won't display any image on monitor.
Temps don't get high enough to cause an issue during the short time AIO is disconnected.
I re-connect it immediately when I hear the fans spin harder meaning it was a successful power on.

Feb 4, 2020
Are you using any splitters/converters? Sometimes they can cause such issues.

I'm using a fan hub and thats all.. I do believe this was happening before I had the fan hub though. Once i get home today im gonna disconnect the hub and just power it on without most fans.

Feb 4, 2020
So I disconnected the hub and an extra fan. 4/9 fans were unplugged and power to the AIO. Also unplugged, no joy...
I’m beginning to think this may be an RMA for the motherboard or something..? This is so strange

Feb 4, 2020
Can you try booting your PC with the side casing off and all of the case fans disconnected.
You won't need them running with the side off and it will show if there is a problem with having so many connections.

Andy
Tried it but nothing.. I don’t know what it is or why it’s only working if I power cycle a few times (2-3 times) with AIO Sata disconnected. I can power cycle all day with it plugged in and it’ll just not POST

If it never works, personally I would get the best air cooler. AIO always need to be changed because of pump failures after a couple of years and often the warranty is only 1 year I think. The difference between wc and the best air cooler is juste a couple of degrees.

Not worth the hassle of changing components as its surely not the motherboard if its booting without the AIO.

Solution
Feb 4, 2020

Yeah but I went h100 more cause it’s a cleaner look and it’s white. Fits my theme.
I don’t know, I’m starting to think it’s not even the cooler and some underlying issue. I don’t even know where to call or what to RMA.