[SOLVED] my cpu speed keeps dipping down from 2.8ghz to 1.2ghz

Jun 22, 2019
hello so my cpu speed keeps going down when i play games or do some tests and im pretty certain its not from the psu i have enough for the whole pc 500w or the temps

i have xeon x3460 temps max at 77c

motherboard : asus p7h55m

keep in mind i tried disabling thermal monitoring in the bios and it worked speeds stays the same but after a little bit of time the pc just turns off by it self .

and i also tried disabling speedtech and c1e in the bios and that didnt work.

pls help me im struggling .

Solution
HYPER TX3
the cpu gets so slow if i turn it off and all the games become unplayable
It's slow because it downclocked itself to cool off. Ignoring thermal monitoring is letting the cpu run at dangerously high levels of heat - and you'll eventually kill the cpu that way.

Push pin coolers, such as the Hyper TX3 are tricky to mount correctly, and is likely the cause of the overheating. Take the cooler off, replace the thermal paste, then mount the cooler - do 2 pins at a time, diagonally.
For example, do top-left and bottom-right pins, then top-right and bottom-left pins.
Jun 27, 2019
hello so my cpu speed keeps going down when i play games or do some tests and im pretty certain its not from the psu i have enough for the whole pc 500w or the temps

i have xeon x3460 temps max at 77c

motherboard : asus p7h55m

keep in mind i tried disabling thermal monitoring in the bios and it worked speeds stays the same but after a little bit of time the pc just turns off by it self .

and i also tried disabling speedtech and c1e in the bios and that didnt work.

pls help me im struggling .
can you write full system specs with the psu name?

Jul 30, 2019
Try to re paste thermal paste and clean your pc if you think it's accumulated with dust.

The problems you told are related to overheating the cpu.

also what is your idle cpu temperature?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like you need to remount your cpu cooler. What kind of cooler is it?

Also, turn thermal monitoring back on. The reason the PC shut off is because temps continued to rise even though the cpu clocked down. When that doesn't keep temps down, it shuts off to save itself.

Jun 22, 2019
Sounds like you need to remount your cpu cooler. What kind of cooler is it?

Also, turn thermal monitoring back on. The reason the PC shut off is because temps continued to rise even though the cpu clocked down. When that doesn't keep temps down, it shuts off to save itself.

HYPER TX3

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
HYPER TX3
It's slow because it downclocked itself to cool off. Ignoring thermal monitoring is letting the cpu run at dangerously high levels of heat - and you'll eventually kill the cpu that way.

Push pin coolers, such as the Hyper TX3 are tricky to mount correctly, and is likely the cause of the overheating. Take the cooler off, replace the thermal paste, then mount the cooler - do 2 pins at a time, diagonally.
For example, do top-left and bottom-right pins, then top-right and bottom-left pins.

Solution