[SOLVED] my games are lagging inspite of having gtx 1050ti.

Mar 13, 2019
I recently bought a new Gtx 1050ti. My pc has an i3 4150 processor, 4gb ddr3 ram, 450 W psu and 1TB hdd. But I don't know why I get so much of frame drops( in games like Apex legends(30-35 fps) and Rise of the tomb raider(sometimes 45+, but when action scene comes, it drops to 15-20fps). Frame drops persist even after lowering the graphics to medium or maybe low.
Should I upgrade to 8gb ddr3 ram?
Thanks in advance!!

Solution
Your easiest and cheapest upgrade is going to be getting that RAM up to 8 GB. Then there is the i3... the single core speed is good, but newer games also need more cores, and you've only got 2 and some hyperthreading. If you could find a cheap used 4th gen i5 that'd help too... but don't spend more than $150-$200... because at that point it would be better to pay a little more and get a whole new setup. For less than $300 you could get a Ryzen 3 quad core, 8 GB of RAM, and a motherboard that is on a current platform.

So, your upgrades totally depend on your budget. If you have less than $100, go for RAM. If you have $100-$200 go for RAM and CPU. If you have more than $200, replace the whole platform as soon as you can.
Your easiest and cheapest upgrade is going to be getting that RAM up to 8 GB. Then there is the i3... the single core speed is good, but newer games also need more cores, and you've only got 2 and some hyperthreading. If you could find a cheap used 4th gen i5 that'd help too... but don't spend more than $150-$200... because at that point it would be better to pay a little more and get a whole new setup. For less than $300 you could get a Ryzen 3 quad core, 8 GB of RAM, and a motherboard that is on a current platform.

So, your upgrades totally depend on your budget. If you have less than $100, go for RAM. If you have $100-$200 go for RAM and CPU. If you have more than $200, replace the whole platform as soon as you can.

Reactions: Banned by Net
Solution
Mar 13, 2019

thanks for your suggestion. I bought a new ddr3 4gb ram( now the total ram-8gb ddr3), but the games are still lagging. My in game fps-25-30, CPU1-100%, cpu1 temp.-100C, ram usage-3600-4000MB. Is it the cpu temp and % that is causing me the problem. Also, I am actually tight on budget(<100$).

Yeah, that CPU is what is holding you back. If you can find a cheap used i5 that'd be your best route with your budget.

However... that CPU temp is super wrong... and if it actually means 100C then you are crazy overheating. Your system might be fine and the overheating CPU is what is hurting performance. Is your CPU fan even spinning? If it isn't then a new cooler is what you really need. A new cooler would be relatively cheap too. You can get something like a Hyper 212 for around $30.

Mar 9, 2019
I am running a GTX 1050 ti with an Intel G4560 and 8GB DDR4 and it's smooth as. (I'm new here, are we allowed to swear? lol)

Last edited by a moderator: