yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, i have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU. My CPU is bottlenecks with that GPU and i can only get %60-65 GPU usage. But even if it's bottlenecks, the temps around 70-75 celsius. GPU fan speed is around %40-45 auto. Is that normal?
Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.00 GHz
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit (1100 MHz GPU 1600 MHz Memory Clock)
RAM: Kingston 6GB DDR2 800 MHz CL6
HDD: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB 5400 RPM
HDD2: Samsung HD250HJ 250 GB 7200 RPM
PSU: Gigabyte P650B 650W 80+ Bronze
Case: Asus Vento A2(13 years old case, only have one 9mm fan)

Solution
If it still runs that hot with the case side panel off then adding more case fans is unlikely to help you. I'm going to assume the thermal paste is shot, assuming the card was never dropped or had anything done to i that could've dislodged the cooler so it's not making proper contact with the GPU core. Sorry to say but it looks like you will have to change the thermal paste or have it changed by someone. No other reason that card would run so hot assuming it isn't physically damaged or very heavily overvolted

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
stick with 1 thread
Hi. I have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU, but it running too hot while gaming. It hits 95 degree celsius after 10 minutes of playing. What can i do to avoid overheating for this GPU?

Thanks.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No that is not good for the GPU, I doubt those temps will outright kill it however you could be shortening it's lifespan.

Like said above check for dust and if the fans are spinning. That is an older card so it's possible the thermal paste could be drying up as well.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
No that is not good for the GPU, I doubt those temps will outright kill it however you could be shortening it's lifespan.

Like said above check for dust and if the fans are spinning. That is an older card so it's possible the thermal paste could be drying up as well.
Hi, fans are fine and clean. I'm just afraid to replace the thermal paste. Also, case only has one 9mm fan. Card starts throttling after the 95 celsius and that causes the performance loss.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, my Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU, overheating in games. It hits 92-93 celsius at %50-65 load. When it hits %100, it hits 98 degree celsius instantly. Card itself have 3 fans and all of them clean and works fine. But my case not have any air circulation. It only has, one 9mm exhaust fan. It's 13 years old case as well.

Many people recommended me to replace the thermal compound. But i'm afraid to damage GPU's itself or it's PCB.

How can i change the thermal paste without any danger or risk?

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, my Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU keeps overheating. I can't change it's thermal paste. If i change it's thermal paste, i'll need some thermal pads and i'm afraid of the damage it. I'm planning to add an table ventilator; I think it could make it stay under 80C celsius under load. My case only has single 9mm exhaust fan.

Is there a way to keep it under 80c, without changing thermal paste?

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.00 GHz
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit
RAM: Kingston 6GB DDR2 800MHz CL6
HDD: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB
PSU: Gigabyte P650B 650W 80+ Bronze

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I'd pull the side panel off and see how much temps improve. If they get a lot better I would definitely look into either adding more fans or getting a better case.

From old reviews I have found that Tri -X cooler should be doing a lot better than that, tweak town only got to 63c under full load. So that card is running a whole lot hotter than it should be. I certainly wouldn't want my GPU running at 95c for any prolonged period of time, like I said before it may not outright damage it however it is almost surly throttling at that temp which means it will lower it's clock speed to stay cool thus lowering performance. And I doubt it will last as long as if it was running at say 70c under load.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6...3gb-vapor-x-oc-video-card-review/index15.html

Also if you don't want to change the paste make a custom fan profile with msi afterbuner or similar to allow the fans to ramp up higher than they would stock.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
I'd pull the side panel off and see how much temps improve. If they get a lot better I would definitely look into either adding more fans or getting a better case.

From old reviews I have found that Tri -X cooler should be doing a lot better than that, tweak town only got to 63c under full load. So that card is running a whole lot hotter than it should be. I certainly wouldn't want my GPU running at 95c for any prolonged period of time, like I said before it may not outright damage it however it is almost surly throttling at that temp which means it will lower it's clock speed to stay cool thus lowering performance. And I doubt it will last as long as if it was running at say 70c under load.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6...3gb-vapor-x-oc-video-card-review/index15.html

Also if you don't want to change the paste make a custom fan profile with msi afterbuner or similar to allow the fans to ramp up higher than they would stock.
Fans are running at %100 but it still hits 92-93 celsius. I don't understand; I think i should add more fans that towars the GPU. It running at 1100 MHz at stock, when it starts throttling it down clocks at 1000 MHz, temputares down around 81-82 celsius but performance loss, about 11-12 FPS. It sometimes, still overheating at 1000 MHz and it downclocks at 500MHz and games became unplayable. It not hit it's top clock if pc didn't get restart. I don't know what to do.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If it still runs that hot with the case side panel off then adding more case fans is unlikely to help you. I'm going to assume the thermal paste is shot, assuming the card was never dropped or had anything done to i that could've dislodged the cooler so it's not making proper contact with the GPU core. Sorry to say but it looks like you will have to change the thermal paste or have it changed by someone. No other reason that card would run so hot assuming it isn't physically damaged or very heavily overvolted

Solution

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Heatsink, completely conctanting the GPU. Fans are fine. I've bought this card from used market 3 months ago and i've started using it 2 weeks ago, because of the PSU. My New PSU came 2 weeks ago and then i've just put it to PCI-E port.

I don't understand why that card runs that hot. I've analyzed the GPU's itself, and there's a nothing looks strange. It just like brand new GPU.

It hits 94-95 celsius at %70 load. When it runs at %100 load, it hits 98-99 degrees immediately and stars throttling.

My case only has 12-13 years old 9mm exhaust fan. Case cover is open. I'll try to add an table ventilator that blows toward the GPU. It'll so loud but if it holds GPU under 80 celsius at full load, that will be useful.

Only thing that i don't understand, it's triple-fan card and runs that hot.