Question My mouse randomly disconnects and reconnects.

Sep 28, 2019
I notice this the most when playing games, the mouse shuts off, the lights turn off and then everything turns back on a second later. You can even hear the windows device disconnect reconnect sound.

I have tried everything from disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on all USB "hubs" in device manager, disabling "USB selective suspend setting" in Power options to updating the BIOS. Nothing seems to work.

I have tried with multiple mice but nothing changes..

I feel that I am running out of options..
Is my motherboard not working correctly?
Are my USB ports not working correctly? I really don't know.

Any help would be appreciated as it is really annoying trying to play something like csgo at a high level while sometimes not being able to even aim :(

My system:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz 34 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B360-F GAMING (LGA1151) 36 °C
Graphics
VG258 (1920x1080@165Hz)
BenQ RL2455 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (ASUStek Computer Inc) 54 °C
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50 (SATA (SSD)) 27 °C
1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001-SSHD-8GB (SATA ) 30 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Has the computer's case ever been opened for cleaning and maintenance (i.e., reseating components and cables, etc.)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the disconnects. (Note you are likely to find some errors that windows was not properly shutdown. Look for any errors etc. that occurred prior to the improper shutdowns.)

Sep 28, 2019
Hi, it is a fractal design 750W Integra M Power Supply, it's about 1 year old.
The Case has been opened multiple times and the dust filters have been cleaned using an air duster (as well as the components inside the case)
I have also tidied up the cable management inside the case

Sep 28, 2019
Hi, it is a fractal design 750W Integra M Power Supply, it's about 1 year old.
The Case has been opened multiple times and the dust filters have been cleaned using an air duster (as well as the components inside the case)
I have also tidied up the cable management inside the case

Has the computer's case ever been opened for cleaning and maintenance (i.e., reseating components and cables, etc.)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the disconnects. (Note you are likely to find some errors that windows was not properly shutdown. Look for any errors etc. that occurred prior to the improper shutdowns.)

Also, where do I find the "Reliability History" and the "Event Viewer"?

Ralston18

Titan
In the lower left screen there is a box "Type here to search" printed therein.

Move the mouse cursor into the box and left click.

Begin typing Reliability History. Reliability History should appear up above and you can just click to chose.

Reliability History is more user friendly than Event Viewer which you can get to in the same manner: i.e., click and type into the Search box.

Explore both troubleshooting tools and see what you can find. In some places you can click any given entry/error code to find more information or detail.

And it can be confusing. Just keep looking and you will likely catch on and subsequently note some specific problem or pattern.

Sep 28, 2019
In the lower left screen there is a box "Type here to search" printed therein.

Move the mouse cursor into the box and left click.

Begin typing Reliability History. Reliability History should appear up above and you can just click to chose.

Reliability History is more user friendly than Event Viewer which you can get to in the same manner: i.e., click and type into the Search box.

Explore both troubleshooting tools and see what you can find. In some places you can click any given entry/error code to find more information or detail.

And it can be confusing. Just keep looking and you will likely catch on and subsequently note some specific problem or pattern.

I have checked both the Reliability History and the Event Viewer, the Reliability History didn't give me any information that I didn't already know. It was a couple of game crashes and incorrect windows shutdowns and the rest was successful driver, windows and application installs and updates because I reset my computer yesterday --> Nothing helpful

The event viewer might be more interesting but I really don't know what any of the errors and warnings mean, for example I saw a lot of DistributedCOM, Filtermanager and Service Control Manager Errors, Warnings and "Information".

Can't find a patter to what it might be.

Ralston18

Titan
Try this:

Open Resource Monitor. Do nothing and observe system performance.

Drag the window to one side but leave open.

Then do some minimal mouse "things" but no gaming while continuing to watch Resource Monitor.

Then just methodically escalate what you are doing to involve more and more mouse movement/activity.

Apply Task Manager in much the same manner: the Performance tab would be a good starting point.

Sep 28, 2019
Is it normal to have "High Power Usage" while playing CS:GO?

I have also tested what you recommended and found that when using Resource monitor the CPU usage jumped up slightly when my mouse did the "disconnect-reconnect" thing.

Would clearing the CMOS do anything?
Also, should I be worried about a faulty motherboard or PSU? How do I know that if that's the case.