Jun 19, 2012
Specs (5 year old system):
i7 4790(nonk)
16gb ddr3 1866mhz
Zotac Gtx 970
Asus z97a mobo
Cooler Master hyper 212x cpu cooler
Corsair CX600M PSU

So since a week or so, my PC has been randomly slipping into sleep mode, its happening frequently now. It just goes into sleep mode and as soon as I press any key or mouse click, it comes back on. I thought it might be the graphics card, so I changed output to onboard and removed the gpu ,and it still does that, I installed the display drivers and everything. I did a "clean boot" by disabling everything apart from windows and it still does it. I checked all the cables and they are properly plugged in. I also checked windows power and sleep options, all is set to never sleep.

Its not shutting down or restarting, it just goes into sleep mode (alltbe fans and all compinents power down) and comes back up for a few minutes as soon i wake it up and then goes back into sleep mode. And the interval is random, sometimes it stays up aling time,sometimes a few minutes.

I don't know what to troubleshoot since I don't have another computer where I can test each component separately. I recently (2 weeks ago) cleaned my pc and reapplied thermal paste to both cpu and gpu, and it was working fine post. Gaming and everything was goingsmooth,temps were normal. I have been monitoring temps and they are not high at all.

I dont know what is causing the sleep mode! Can it be bad windows update?coz like a week ago i updated windows, and nvidia drivers.
I also have doubts on bad psu, since it keeps powering down jnto sleep mode.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you see any entries regarding errors and warnings at any time? Even informational events.

Any entries regarding Windows not being properly shut down?

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced?

Noted that you checked all the cables - internal or external?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris. Verify by sight and feel that all cables plus cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

If the above actions do not resolve the problem then try:

1) the built in Windows troubleshooters

2) sfc /scannow via the Command Prompt

3) dism via the Command Prompt.

Next step would be to swap in another known working PSU - minimal 600 watts.

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Look for entries that precede or correspond with the times that the PC goes to sleep.

Remember that right-clicking any given entry will provide more details.

How old is that Cosair PSU? Has it been heavily used for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

KidBuu

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012
How old is that Cosair PSU? Has it been heavily used for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Its CX600M, I mistyped. Its been 5 years. Yeh heavy gaming and heavy video editing, but also a lot of content consumption like Netflix, Prime, Youtube. No bitcoin Mining. I should mention I just purchased a new monitor the BenQ EW2780 27 inch.

What should I be looking for in Reliability and Event Viewer? I did not find any log entries for the time the pc goes into sleep

Ralston18

Titan
Do you see any entries regarding errors and warnings at any time? Even informational events.

Clean out dust and debris. Verify by sight and feel that all cables plus cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Reactions: KidBuu
Solution

KidBuu

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2012

1 Yes there are some entries of Windows not being properly shut down, but I can't associate the time with sleep mode problem

2 Yes I replaced CMOS battery a year ago

3 All cables checked internal and external, none of them are loose.

4 Deep cleaned PC and repalced thermal paste of CPU and GPU 2 weeks ago

will do the other steps.