Question My ping spikes when my dad or mom use my internet

Nov 11, 2023
So i be playing valorant normally, im using a lan cable connected to my router, everytime my dad comes home and hops on facebook my ping just spikes to 300 and stays there until he gets off, is that whats supposed to happen? and if it isnt how can i fix this issue? thanks

kanewolf

Titan
So i be playing valorant normally, im using a lan cable connected to my router, everytime my dad comes home and hops on facebook my ping just spikes to 300 and stays there until he gets off, is that whats supposed to happen? and if it isnt how can i fix this issue? thanks
That is a possible, legitimate, situation. And if you aren't paying for the internet, why should you get priority ?
But, with the limited info you have provided, there is no way to determine.
What is your internet speed package?
What is your router?

Nov 11, 2023
That is a possible, legitimate, situation. And if you aren't paying for the internet, why should you get priority ?
But, with the limited info you have provided, there is no way to determine.
What is your internet speed package?
What is your router?
the bundle i got is unlimited it says up to 8 mbps. my router is

D-Link ogero DSL-234 Router​

8mbps is extremely slow for modern internet. Even web pages load so much garbage they will cause spikes on a connection that slow. Someone watch any kind of video even at a medium resolution will use almost all the bandwidth.

Only solution really is to get a bigger package. If DSL is you only option where you live then it is likely being limited by the physical phone lines.

Although not optimum for playing games most mobile/cell internet plans are much faster than 8mbps.....but it all depends how strong the signal is. Many providers now sell uncapped home internet solutions. It all depends which provider have signal at your house.

Nov 11, 2023
Start with running speedtest.net from your wired PC. See what your actuals are. DSL can be very dependent on the distance and quality of wire. You might pay for UP TO 50Mbit and get 10Mbit ....
I got a really good lan cable the other day, when i run a speedtest it only shows 6mbps why?

kanewolf

Titan
I got a really good lan cable the other day, when i run a speedtest it only shows 6mbps why?
As I said, DSL is very dependent on the phone cable coming into the house and the distance to the phone company equipment. That may be all that your phone lines support. You need to find out for sure what service is being paid for. Then you may need to call your ISP to investigate the low performance.

kanewolf

Titan
And the quality of the phone lines inside the house. You might have 10 phone jacks all daisy chained and the DSL modem is on the last one. THAT is all your responsibility. The ISP is responsible for the cable to the outside of your house. Everything else is your responsibility.

Reactions: lantis3