[SOLVED] My very first PC build - Need Suggestions

MaxThePizza

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
Hello!

I need suggestion on building a very first new system. In particular I need to satisfy 3 aspects:
  • The most important of course, I want to build an outstanding gaming PC.
  • I need enough power for structural engineering work (Sap2000, Risa 3D, simulation software, etc).
  • I want to build a PC for creative purposes (Adobe CC, 3D modeling/rendering, video edition, etc).

I've done some research, and came up with the following list of components (inspired by this build):

#​
COMPONENTREFERENCE
[CPU] :​
Intel Core i5 12600K
51ueDdx3yGL._AC_AA360_.jpg
[COOLER] :​
NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm
61VUGmPxWlL._AC_AA360_.jpg
[MO-BO] :​
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A
81qmjuAD-UL._AC_AA360_.jpg
[CASE]:
Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB
716nFovNhSL._AC_AA360_.jpg
[PSU]:
Corsair RMX 1000W 80+Gold
710giQRHyQS._AC_AA360_.jpg
[STORAGE]:
SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB
71qA45tWZ5L._AC_AA360_.jpg
[GPU] :​
I need a GPU suggestion that fits with the rest of the components. What about a 3080? How many GB should it have?
?​
[RAM] :​
I need RAM suggestion as-well. Im looking for 32 GB in total, DDR4, about 16 CAS Latency, and over 3200 Mhz. Should I go higher with the Mhz? Should I go 2x16 GB? Should I go 2x8 GB and higher Mhz ? Im really lost here.
?​

Questions/Comments:
  • Is everything compatible? What am I missing ? I checked it and everything seems fine.
  • I don't want to replace the CASE, but is there enough space?
  • I don't want to replace the COOLER, but im open to suggestions.
  • For the PSU, 1000 W may be too much, but in the future I will keep upgrading to more demanding GPU / CPU. Is it okay?
  • I heard that the i5 12600 K is really good, but should I go with the i7 or i9? I don't really think it's necessary.
  • I already have some peripherals and monitor (lenovo thinkvision p27h-20, will upgrade, but not my priority right now).
I don't have a specific budget right now but (because I live outside US and prices fluctuate a lot). So thats it, i really need help, suggestions, critics, comments, etc, thank you for your help.

👋

Solution
  • I need enough power for structural engineering work (Sap2000, Risa 3D, simulation software, etc).
  • I want to build a PC for creative purposes (Adobe CC, 3D modeling/rendering, video edition, etc).

You will want more RAM, not faster, (3200 is fine, even 3000 or 2800 for a larger amount is fine, just never 2133), for these purposes. CAS latency matters less than people think it does especially these days and is overrated to the extreme. In all the latency testing I did the benefits of CAS were outweighed by higher frequency. 32gb is probably fine but if you can afford it, 64 will help with the other tasks to keep them running smoothly if you...

felicityc

Prominent
Feb 19, 2020

You will want more RAM, not faster, (3200 is fine, even 3000 or 2800 for a larger amount is fine, just never 2133), for these purposes. CAS latency matters less than people think it does especially these days and is overrated to the extreme. In all the latency testing I did the benefits of CAS were outweighed by higher frequency. 32gb is probably fine but if you can afford it, 64 will help with the other tasks to keep them running smoothly if you are multitasking A LOT, but 32 is absolutely fine, as I am assuming you are talking about professional engineering work, not hobbyist. RAM prices are weird right now so idk.

You do not need a 1000w power supply and should be able to easily get away with 850 if not 750. By the time you will want to upgrade to something even more power demanding you will probably just get a new PSU anyway so I don't see the purpose in future-proofing when PSU prices are not bad at all, unless you intend to go for a 3090ti or something and pay $3000.

The 12700k costs hardly more than a 12600k and for your purposes a faster CPU is better; but for workstation purposes, more cores > faster. You can also consider even going high-tier Ryzen for this purpose since they tend to be better at those things, while intel 12 series is back for gaming after disappointing us before. I am not 100% certain on the potential differences or possibility of the e-cores vs. p-cores in non-gaming workloads. You can look at gamer's nexus' benchmarks, maybe.

As for a gpu, good luck, lol. A 3080 would be great. But... yeah.
  • Is everything compatible? What am I missing ? I checked it and everything seems fine.
  • I don't want to replace the CASE, but is there enough space?
  • I don't want to replace the COOLER, but im open to suggestions.
  • For the PSU, 1000 W may be too much, but in the future I will keep upgrading to more demanding GPU / CPU. Is it okay?
  • I heard that the i5 12600 K is really good, but should I go with the i7 or i9? I don't really think it's necessary.
  • I already have some peripherals and monitor (lenovo thinkvision p27h-20, will upgrade, but not my priority right now).

1. more or less, yeah. Always check the motherboard QVL (memory compatibility list) when picking memory, though.
  2. It's a midtower and would probably be fine. It has space for a 280mm radiator so it can support the cooler.
  3. Cooler is fine as long as you have airflow and mount it correctly.
  4. See above.
  5. See above.
  6. Your choice.
Additionally, you should probably get extra (cheaper) storage. 1TB fills up fast these days. A couple sata ssds at 500gb can help a lot in file management.

and also
What's your monitor resolution and what country are you located?

Appears to be in a Spanish speaking country because after clicking those links my Amazon is only in spanish and won't go back lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me
Solution