cmr669

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
So I recently turned my pc on for the first time in about a week had no issues before this. It started up then immediately shut down then restarted and booted properly. It ran for about 5 minutes then froze needing a reset, then got stuck in a boot loop but eventually booted. I got into event viewer and all I was able to see was a kernal power 41 error before it crashed again. Now I can't get into the pc at all as it gives no display via gpu or integrated.

I pulled the gpu but no luck with the integrated display and I also cleared the cmos how my manual said too. I'm a little lost as to what to try next. The build is only 6 months old and I hate for a part to need to be replaced already. Whatever help you can provide would be much appreciated.

MSI X470 gaming plus
AMD RYZEN 7 2700X
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
ADATA DDR4 3200 2X8GB
Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
WD BLUE 1TB HDD
Corsair 600w standard 80 plus gold PSU

Last edited:
EXACT power supply model?

Does it have ANY problems, freezing, restarting, ANYTHING, if you DON'T boot into windows, in other words, if you go into the BIOS does it have any problems regardless of how long you mess around in there? Are you able to run any non-windows programs?

I would download one of the bootable USB Linux distros like Ubuntu, and boot into that, and see if you have the same problems as in Windows. If this is doing it all the time, before you even begin the boot process after POST is complete, then it's likely a definite hardware problem like a faulty power supply or motherboard, but could be anything hardware really.

Is that 1TB HDD new or old? Is your SSD new or old?

cmr669

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
Yeah I noticed that i forgot the psu added it to the original post but it's a Corsair 600w standard 80 plus gold certified. I don't know the exact model number. This was mostly a pre built that I added a gpu and ssd into. I can't get into bios at all I'm not getting any type of display be able to enter it. It also like my usb ports aren't working correctly. My keyboard doesn't seem to be getting any power through it. The hdd is new with the build and the ssd was pulled from an older build but only about a year old same with the gpu

Last edited:

cmr669

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
I do have an older 500 w psu I can test with to see if it works. But It seems like is keeping power fine but it's not displaying anything to the monitor. The cables are working my monitor is detecting an I put on the cable but it's not displaying.

Disconnect both drives and see if the system will POST without them connected?

What slots are your memory installed in? They should be in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. I'd pull them out and reseat them in those slots, even if they are already in those slots. If they are not, move them TO those slots. It may be necessary as well to do a hard reset of the BIOS afterwards OR as an attempt to smack the system upside the head.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Really starting to sound like a faulty motherboard though, which isn't surprising (To ME anyhow) since it's an MSI board and not one of their upper tiered models. I just see so many MSI boards with problems but everybody seems to want to argue that, so whatever. LOL.

Reactions: cmr669

cmr669

Honorable
Feb 21, 2014
Disconnect both drives and see if the system will POST without them connected?

What slots are your memory installed in? They should be in the A2 and B2 slots which are the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket. I'd pull them out and reseat them in those slots, even if they are already in those slots. If they are not, move them TO those slots. It may be necessary as well to do a hard reset of the BIOS afterwards OR as an attempt to smack the system upside the head.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Really starting to sound like a faulty motherboard though, which isn't surprising (To ME anyhow) since it's an MSI board and not one of their upper tiered models. I just see so many MSI boards with problems but everybody seems to want to argue that, so whatever. LOL.
That cmos battery did the trick thanks a ton man. I hope it's not going to be constant thing but that solves the problem for now. Thanks so much!