Clickbeetle

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Long time i have overclock and it was pretty stable (at least i thought so), but in some game i started to get BSOD Page Fault.

I run Prime95 and realized i have rounding errors, so i reset my bios to default and started from scratch. My specs:

ASUS Strix 270F Gaming, latest bios motherboard Intel i5-7600k Kaby Lake-S Corsair Vengeance LED 2x8Gb DDR4 3000 15-17-17-35

So i overclocked CPU to 4600 successfully with this setting:

46 multiplier BCK 100 MHz Core Voltage: adaptive, 1.20v turbo, offset auto AC/DC load line: 0.01 LLC 4 Everything else on default

I ran different tests in Prime 95 all stable, then memtest86 all good. Even run game, that previously bsod, it is fine now too.

Now i wanted to run my memory from 2133 to 3000

I enabled XMP and it immediately bsod on windows startup.

I set timings manually and voltage too. Still Bsod.

Then i tried to incrementally increase vccio and vccsa from 1 v to 1.3v !!! Still crashing on startup. I don’t even know how i was running XMP before, because it was quite stable, after 3 years only the first game encounter bsod. Now i can’t even manage to startup Windows without bsod with xmp as before. The difference between old setting (3 years ago) and current is before i was running CPU at 4500 (4600 now) and voltage was in offset mode, and maybe higher than 1.2v i didn’t remember. Also ac/dc was auto.

So once again xmp before i reset bios setting was quite stable (only one game cause bsod), but now i can’t reproduce even this state.

Need some help guys, i want to run my ram on 3000 frequency. I don’t know what to do next. I am afraid to increase vccio higher than 1.3. Maybe it is something connected with vcore voltage? Because previously i have constant offset mode, not adaptive.

RealBeast

Titan
When i am trying to run it at 3000mhz - yes, i set voltage to 1.35 in bios. Even a lit bit higher, because when i set it to 1.35v, bios shows me that it running at 1.325v. Currentrly i am running it on 2133 Mhz frequency with 1.2v
They passed memtest already at 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 1.35V, so the memory is good (I've seen reviews where it ran at 3466MHz at 15-17-17-35), while that memory is on the board QVL it doesn't seem to like it, at least when O/C'd anymore. I would try setting the timings just a little looser like 16-18-18-38 and see if that makes a difference in the BSOD occurrence and then incrementally drop the frequency at the standard timings. Hard to do an RMA when they pass memtest, and I think the board is probably the issue anyway.

Clickbeetle

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
I would try setting the timings just a little looser like 16-18-18-38 and see if that makes a difference in the BSOD occurrence

With this timings and 1.35v dram voltage i managed atleast booted to windows without bsod. I can even run Prime95, but he fails in blend mode. But no bsod, which is some progress.

I wonder how i managed to run XMP profile 3 years ago, it was quite stable, not 100%, but like 95% of time.

Will try to experiment with frequency now.

Clickbeetle

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
They passed memtest already at 3000MHz 15-17-17-35 1.35V, so the memory is good (I've seen reviews where it ran at 3466MHz at 15-17-17-35), while that memory is on the board QVL it doesn't seem to like it, at least when O/C'd anymore. I would try setting the timings just a little looser like 16-18-18-38 and see if that makes a difference in the BSOD occurrence and then incrementally drop the frequency at the standard timings. Hard to do an RMA when they pass memtest, and I think the board is probably the issue anyway.

Update: i removed second stick of ram and left only one stick in A2 slot and enabled XMP with overclocked CPU and it seems to work, it passes Prime95 now and no bsod. I will run some more tests and then try to install back second stick of ram. Does it mean then when i am installing 2 stick of ram motherboard can't manage two of them with XMP enabled?

Clickbeetle

Commendable
Jul 19, 2020
Update:

So the problem was with adaptive mode i think. First i tried to incrementally increase voltage for vccio and vccsa from 1.0v up to 1.25v and testing in memtest86. But with no luck. I managed to get 1 and 2 successful pass on 1.12v for vccio and vccsa in memtest, but 3 pass always failed.

Then i thought about adaptive mode, i set voltage only in turbo mode, so if memory controllers puts more work on cpu, maybe it needs more voltage in both turbo and normal mode. So to get things easy i switch cpu vcore voltage to manual mode and add some voltages, so i set 1.23v in manual mode for vcore. Then started again incrementally increasing voltage for vccio and vccsa. This time i have fortune on my side. On 1.11v for both vccio and vccsa my memory worked. I run 8 passes in memtest86 with no errors. Then loaded windows and run HCI memtest for 600% also with no errors. And finally run prime95 in blend mode. Also stable.

So now i will try to decrease voltage for vcore in manual mode. And then will try to switch manual to adaptive mode again.

If anyone knows some tips for switching manual to adpative in my situation will appreciate it.

So in the end enabling XMP not so easy as select it in bios =)