[SOLVED] Need Hot Noctua computer tips

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hello!
I have a temperature problem with my computer and want to ask for tips on what to do. first of all my components:
CPU - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU
GPU - Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GameRock
MB - Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151
CHASSI - Fractal Design Define C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply - Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

The problem occures when playing games. The CPU and GPU easely gets up to 80°C (176°F), even when i have set all the fan-curves to turbo mode ON, even on the GPU .
I had the top of chassi open to get the temperature down when playing games but it collects so much dust so now i want it closed all time...
Of what i heard the Noctua should do a better job at cooling, could it be that i need to reapply the paste or is my chassy to small to stay cool when closed (The Noctua have 1/1mm space left to the chassi wall)? would it be good to insert more chassi-fans(if possible)?
This keeps me from playing games and i would really appreciate any kind of help, Thank you!

I show you a picture of my computer: https://ibb.co/dLvfvMD

Solution
Here are my tips: I would place 2 140mm front intakes that line up with your GPU and CPU cooler fans, 1 140mm rear outtake and 2 120mm or 140mm top fans. Your rear fan in the picture can be placed a little higher, like only 2-3cm higher.

DSC-47644.jpg

I would also recommend other fans that deliver more static pressure like Noctua NF-A14's, the normal version or the industrial version (2000rpm) but the last one can be pretty loud above 1500rpm. Stock case fans are not bad but not super great either. If I were you I'd put the 2 stock fans up top and buy 3 NF-A14 Noctua fans (2 in front and 1 in the rear).

Ralston18

Titan
All air flows going from left to right (looking into the picture) - correct?

Have you tried relocating the fan on the right to the upper slot?

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Fractel Design Case?

I found the following link:

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Define_7_Compact_Manual_v5-2020-03-09.pdf

Do verify that the manual is correct for your case.

Review the manual to double check your assembly and fan arrangements.

For example: what top panel are you using? (Reference = physically numbered Page 23.)

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
All air flows going from left to right (looking into the picture) - correct?

Have you tried relocating the fan on the right to the upper slot?

Do you have the User Guide/Manual for the Fractel Design Case?

I found the following link:

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Define_7_Compact_Manual_v5-2020-03-09.pdf

Do verify that the manual is correct for your case.

Review the manual to double check your assembly and fan arrangements.

For example: what top panel are you using? (Reference = physically numbered Page 23.)
Thank you! Looking into the picture all airflow is going from right to left i think. Maybe i should try moving up the fan like you say but wouldn't that result in hotter GPU?. Does inserting a extra fan help or making it worse by creating positive air preasure. The fans were already arrenged this way from factory.

Im not sure i understand what you mean about top panel? i use the closed cover, but i got something else in the box with the chassi too.

picture: https://ibb.co/5K7xc8j

Ralston18

Titan
Verify and post the air flow direction through the case.

The exhaust fan (for warmer hotter air) should be equal to or greater in height to the intake fan. Otherwise the exhaust fan is also working more to pull warm air down when that warm air naturally wants to rise.

Warmer air (heat) will rise up from the GPUs and then be carried out with the air flows above. One direction or another.

Key is that all fans are blowing or flowing air in the same direction and not against each other.

=====

I believe that your picture ("xc8j") is showing Item 9, Top Filter. Not sure that that is the correct match....

The top panel, as I understand the case manual, can be replaced with the "Ventilated Top". Reference case manual Pages 5 and 6, Item 11.

Overall, the most immediate thing you can do is to just swap out the solid top panel with the Ventilated Top and determine if the system runs cooler.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Verify and post the air flow direction through the case.

The exhaust fan (for warmer hotter air) should be equal to or greater in height to the intake fan. Otherwise the exhaust fan is also working more to pull warm air down when that warm air naturally wants to rise.

Warmer air (heat) will rise up from the GPUs and then be carried out with the air flows above. One direction or another.

Key is that all fans are blowing or flowing air in the same direction and not against each other.

=====

I believe that your picture ("xc8j") is showing Item 9, Top Filter. Not sure that that is the correct match....

The top panel, as I understand the case manual, can be replaced with the "Ventilated Top". Reference case manual Pages 5 and 6, Item 11.

Overall, the most immediate thing you can do is to just swap out the solid top panel with the Ventilated Top and determine if the system runs cooler.
The airflow goes from right to left (front to back) on all fans. one thing i realised is that if i stick my hand in it feels like the air don't go through the heatsinks, more like blowing out from the sides right in front of the fan(tried to illustrate). But thats maybe how it always works.

All fans go in the same direction from bottom to top so i think the problem is that the hot air just dont leave fast enough. is there something i can by to make it better or could the thermal paste be badly applied?

dosent a ventilated top allow dust in if i dont have fans in the top?

maybe i should buy som fans to the top of the chassi and use the magnetic dust filter seen in earlier posted picture

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Here are my tips: I would place 2 140mm front intakes that line up with your GPU and CPU cooler fans, 1 140mm rear outtake and 2 120mm or 140mm top fans. Your rear fan in the picture can be placed a little higher, like only 2-3cm higher.

DSC-47644.jpg

I would also recommend other fans that deliver more static pressure like Noctua NF-A14's, the normal version or the industrial version (2000rpm) but the last one can be pretty loud above 1500rpm. Stock case fans are not bad but not super great either. If I were you I'd put the 2 stock fans up top and buy 3 NF-A14 Noctua fans (2 in front and 1 in the rear).

Solution

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019

DSC-47644.jpg

Thanks for the tips! I am gonna go with this and order some new fans. Is it a problem to have intake fans thats faster than the CPU fans (if i go with the industrial ones)?

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Intake fans @ higher rpm than cpu fans is not a problem at all. The Noctua industrial fans at full speed are pretty noisy so be aware. I have them too and only use like 80% speed maximum while gaming.

120mm rear fan is not a problem. Even 120mm at the top should be good. In that case I'd prefer the Noctua NF-A12 PWM.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Intake fans @ higher rpm than cpu fans is not a problem at all. The Noctua industrial fans at full speed are pretty noisy so be aware. I have them too and only use like 80% speed maximum while gaming.

120mm rear fan is not a problem. Even 120mm at the top should be good. In that case I'd prefer the Noctua NF-A12 PWM.
Okay! Noise is not a problem at all if it stays cool. what do you think about 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM.
one rear and two front, then use the fractal fans in top?

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Fractals at top, 1 120mm Noctua fan in the rear and 2 140mm Noctua fans in front. I'd prefer at least 140mm fans in the front. You can pick the non industrial version NF-A14 PWM if you don't want to have too much noise at max speed.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Fractals at top, 1 120mm Noctua fan in the rear and 2 140mm Noctua fans in front. I'd prefer at least 140mm fans in the front. You can pick the non industrial version NF-A14 PWM if you don't want to have too much noise at max speed.
Thanks man!

Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x1

Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 140mm PWM x2

is this the right industrial version?

would you say the industrial version makes a big difference? Especially now when its summer. The noise i dont care about so if the cooling is way better i could just aswell go with them.

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Yes those 3 are fine, and yes this is the right industrial version (I have the same one). Well the industrial version has more static pressure than the normal version so I would say yes. The normal version would be fine too by the way. Very curious if this setup will lower your cpu temps a little bit.

Stocky1984

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
Yeah those are fine too. I hope you can lower cpu temps a little bit with this improved airflow setup. It can be only a few degrees or with some luck up to 10 degrees. Looking forward to read the results here.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Yeah those are fine too. I hope you can lower cpu temps a little bit with this improved airflow setup. It can be only a few degrees or with some luck up to 10 degrees. Looking forward to read the results here.
Yeah it will be interesting. if it doesn't help maybe i will have to buy an AC for my room or something.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Let's hope your Noctua fans don't make that humming sound that ended up driving me crazy and returning them.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Well in case they are too loud at full speed then just set up a curve and let it do like 75-80% max speed when cpu is above 70C.
That's not what I'm saying. Even at 600 RPM they made undulating wobbly noises because of the hexagonal holes in my PC case.

pngon

Prominent
Dec 8, 2019
Hey guys!

I have installed the new fans now. i skipped the top fans because there was no CHA FAN header left and im unsure if you can use CPU OPT header. picture: https://ibb.co/JBFtmdJ

I tried to run The Witcher 3 for some time and there is definitely change! The CPU temp did not exceed 72 C and GPU 69 C. and thats with the solid top cover on. Today is a pretty cold day here so it will be interesting to see the results on a warm day.

Here is the monitoring: https://ibb.co/gR6tbWM

Another question, does the Voltage seem a bit high on the motherboard?