[SOLVED] Need recommendation's on how to save over 6tb's of files

tar14444

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hello, I'm looking to get your thought's on how I should properly save over 6tb's of Video's/Game's/Photo's.

I have heard that external transfer rates would take forever to move the files around but I myself have never owned a external drive.

Would it be best to purchase a external HDD or look into internal or even a external docking station for multiple drives.

Any advise is appreciated.

(Please keep in mind I would like to future proof this also meaning I imagine I will have more files that need saved in the future.)

(Edit) Once the files are onto the drive or drive's I would not need to move over again.

Solution
One of my main considerations is what type and connection drive is inside that case.
Some of them have the USB-SATA bridge built directly on the drive PCB. Meaning you cannot take it out of that case in case something goes wrong.
Second, built in encryption. Again...remove the drive, and it is inaccessible.

I know that Seagate is just a regular Seagate Baracuda drive inside, with regular SATA ports. No silliness with ports or encryption.
what type of drive is it?

you can get an external drive that is super fast SSD running on USB 3.1 speeds, so it will not be slow transfer rate.
or you can buy a USB 3.0/3.1 external enclosure and add whatever type of drive(s) you like to it.
or you can just buy an external hot-swappable drive dock and add/remove as many drives as you would like back and forth from it. just be sure you get drives with faster read/write speeds and are using a connection with higher bandwidth like USB 3.1.

it could take an hour or two to a whole afternoon to copy all of the data depending on how fast the base drive is.
but the route you go for adding external storage is up to you. there are fast & reliable options for any of the three recommended varieties.

tar14444

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

USAFRet

Titan
One of my main considerations is what type and connection drive is inside that case.
Some of them have the USB-SATA bridge built directly on the drive PCB. Meaning you cannot take it out of that case in case something goes wrong.

I know that Seagate is just a regular Seagate Baracuda drive inside, with regular SATA ports. No silliness with ports or encryption.

Solution

tar14444

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Awesome, Thanks for the help!