deepak4rocks

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hello folks, I use a gaming system that I assembled in 2014. It ran all the games that I played smoothly. Below is the configuration:

1. Intel G3258 Core2Duo 4th gen 1150 socket Processor
  2. Asus H81M motherboard
  3. 2x4 GB Kingston HyperX RAM
  4. ASUS Strix GTX 970 4GB GPU
  5. Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD
The thing is, I got an origin copy of Battlefield 1 from my friend a week ago. I don't have the big money needed to upgrade my entire build. I wish to upgrade my entire setup in Q3 2021. Until then, I have no plans of upgrading my machine. However, I really want to play Battlefield 1 and I can spare 50-80$ on upgrading to a better CPU from the same gen since it is obvious that the CPU is the one bottlenecking my gameplay. What CPU do you suggest? I have no plans to buy a new MoBo or RAM (DDR4 different gen). And thank you in advance.

Solution
The multiplayer is far more demanding than the single player especially on larger maps. Unfortunately dropping game settings does little to reduce the cpu workload, 60 FPS at low or ultra will take similar cpu usage. I tried running BF1 multiplayer on an i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz with 16GB RAM and installed on SSD and while it didn’t stutter the FPS were poor, to the point of being frustrating to play for me. I have seen so many other complaints on here from people running quad core/thread CPU’s with the multiplayer. I’d say the i5 isn’t going to be enough of an upgrade and will most likely be disappointing.
Hmm tough. BF1 benefits from 16Gb RAM, you can use 8gb but you will suffer some stuttering especially if installed on an HDD instead of an SSD. BF1 multiplayer also benefits significantly by having more than 4 threads which means you want as a minimum an i7 4770/4790/4770k/4790k. If the US secondhand market is like the UK you won’t get any of them for $80 unless very lucky.

deepak4rocks

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I see. I don't intend on playing it on Ultra. I actually finished the singleplayer without any lag. It was in MP that the game sucks.

I was planning a complete new build in the second or third quarter of 2021. I wanted to get the latest rig in time for a potential BF6 release.

I can move the Windows Boot to an HDD partition and dedicate the entire SSD to BF1. That should somewhat make up for the stutter you mentioned, right?

I was thinking of getting a Gen4 i5 from AliExpress. What do you think?

The multiplayer is far more demanding than the single player especially on larger maps. Unfortunately dropping game settings does little to reduce the cpu workload, 60 FPS at low or ultra will take similar cpu usage. I tried running BF1 multiplayer on an i5 4670k overclocked to 4.3GHz with 16GB RAM and installed on SSD and while it didn’t stutter the FPS were poor, to the point of being frustrating to play for me. I have seen so many other complaints on here from people running quad core/thread CPU’s with the multiplayer. I’d say the i5 isn’t going to be enough of an upgrade and will most likely be disappointing.

Solution