Matt1155

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Hi folks,

I'm looking to put together a new PC build following the death of my previous one. I've put together some initial specs and would really appreciate your expert advice, comments and feedback! I'm looking to use it as a work PC (nothing too strenuous) but more importantly to play games at 1440p at (up to) 144Hz. Thanks in advance :)

Fractal Meshify C (White)
Intel Core i5-9600K with Corsair H100i Cooler (ideally replacing fans with Noctua NF-F12 fans)
ASUS PRIME Z390-P
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16Gb 3200MHz (White)
ASUS ROG Strix 2080 Super OC (White)
500Gb Samsung EVO
Corsair RM750
[Windows 10]

I'm trying to do a clean white build but more important is noise and thermal performance so any comments on that appreciated. Key thought is should I wait for next gen Nvidia or upgrade to a 2080ti for better performance or does current info suggest that 2080 Super is fairly future-proofed? Also is it worth waiting for Ryzen 4000? [I understand you folks aren't prophets but I'm not very clued up on next gen stuff and don't fully understand a lot of the speculation].

Thanks all again - literally any comments on any parts are welcomed.

Solution
The 12nm variant of the Ryzen 5 1600 is available again at $85 here.

Does it perform less than the Ryzen 5 2600? Slightly. Does it perform less than the Ryzen 5 3600? Yes. Is it better than the i5-4570. Also yes.

Why would I suggest it? Bang-for-buck, and, if you were considering going to Ryzen 4000 (assuming it comes out this year and thus works on the AM4 socket), then the 1600 AF is a cheap improvement over what you have currently, and a simple BIOS update will make whatever motherboard you get able to go to the new 4000 series. Or, a more capable 3000 series that will then be notably less expensive when the 4000 chips come out.

(and, I admit, I'm kind of a fan of that budget "underdog" of a CPU)
Hi folks,

I'm looking to put together a new PC build following the death of my previous one. I've put together some initial specs and would really appreciate your expert advice, comments and feedback! I'm looking to use it as a work PC (nothing too strenuous) but more importantly to play games at 1440p at (up to) 144Hz. Thanks in advance :)

Fractal Meshify C (White)
Intel Core i5-9600K with Corsair H100i Cooler (ideally replacing fans with Noctua NF-F12 fans)
ASUS PRIME Z390-P
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16Gb 3200MHz (White)
ASUS ROG Strix 2080 Super OC (White)
500Gb Samsung EVO
Corsair RM750
[Windows 10]

I'm trying to do a clean white build but more important is noise and thermal performance so any comments on that appreciated. Key thought is should I wait for next gen Nvidia or upgrade to a 2080ti for better performance or does current info suggest that 2080 Super is fairly future-proofed? Also is it worth waiting for Ryzen 4000? [I understand you folks aren't prophets but I'm not very clued up on next gen stuff and don't fully understand a lot of the speculation].

Thanks all again - literally any comments on any parts are welcomed.

I would say if you are after quiet you might want to look at an AMD build... the Ryzen 7 3700X is a really efficient part thanks to being 7nm - it's close to Intels best in games and faster than all except the 9900K in productivity at 65W, That or Ryzen 4000 would probably make most sense if you want to keep noise / thermals down as Intel have really pushed their cpu's very hard in order to keep up.

As for graphics boards - both nVidia and AMD have new cards due out later this year, although probably not any time soon given the current crisis. I don't think you have any risk of a 2080 Super being obsolete any time soon although the next gen will be faster no doubt.

Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
The build is ok for gaming but price to performance I'd go AMD Ryzen over Intel currently. For the price of that CPU, AIO & better fans you could easily get the Ryzen 3700X which would be better for gaming/work due to the extra cores/threads and good performance per core or perhaps the 3600 or even 1600 AF if your going to wait for 4th gen. As for the GPU the 2080S would be solid for 1440P/144hz but Nvidia should be releasing Ampere this year so if you have a GPU that is decent for now then maybe consider waiting? Do you have any parts from your previous build that still work?

Reactions: King_V and cdrkf

Matt1155

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Thanks both for the comments! I will strongly consider Ryzen based on your feedbacks - whenever I compare the 3700X or 3800X to the it-9600k though I find they're a bit more expensive but with very similar games performance. Clearly better for work when you need extra thread counts though but I'm not convinced I'll need that much!

I still have a Palit 1070 GR-P left over so was considering keeping that on until Ampere releases... maybe worth holding out until then? Big issue for me is that my current PC struggles to play new games (stutters terribly, max 40-50fps with huge hitches on things like COD Warzone at absolute minimum graphics settings at 1440p- I think due to an older CPU and poor RAM (i5-4570, 8Gb RAM, H87M-HD3 mobo) so I'm keen to do something in the near future.

Thanks again.

WildCard999

Titan
The quad core for gaming is part of the reason for the low FPS, definitely time to replace. As for the 1070 I'd probably hold onto it until Ampere, should be able to play at 1440P medium-ish settings when paired with a better CPU.

It's difficult to say if 4th gen will be worth waiting for but in the meantime you could go Ryzen 3600, B450 board & 16gb of 3200mhz+ which would be a good improvement over that 4570, especially for gaming.

If you do prefer Intel then wait for LGA1200 as there should be significant improvements, one being that the i5's coming out will be hyperthreaded which would give them better longevity then they are now.

Reactions: cdrkf and King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 12nm variant of the Ryzen 5 1600 is available again at $85 here.

Does it perform less than the Ryzen 5 2600? Slightly. Does it perform less than the Ryzen 5 3600? Yes. Is it better than the i5-4570. Also yes.

Why would I suggest it? Bang-for-buck, and, if you were considering going to Ryzen 4000 (assuming it comes out this year and thus works on the AM4 socket), then the 1600 AF is a cheap improvement over what you have currently, and a simple BIOS update will make whatever motherboard you get able to go to the new 4000 series. Or, a more capable 3000 series that will then be notably less expensive when the 4000 chips come out.

(and, I admit, I'm kind of a fan of that budget "underdog" of a CPU)

Solution
Thanks both for the comments! I will strongly consider Ryzen based on your feedbacks - whenever I compare the 3700X or 3800X to the it-9600k though I find they're a bit more expensive but with very similar games performance. Clearly better for work when you need extra thread counts though but I'm not convinced I'll need that much!

I still have a Palit 1070 GR-P left over so was considering keeping that on until Ampere releases... maybe worth holding out until then? Big issue for me is that my current PC struggles to play new games (stutters terribly, max 40-50fps with huge hitches on things like COD Warzone at absolute minimum graphics settings at 1440p- I think due to an older CPU and poor RAM (i5-4570, 8Gb RAM, H87M-HD3 mobo) so I'm keen to do something in the near future.

Thanks again.

The problem I have with something like the 9600K is I think you will wind up in the same situation you are now in the not so distant future with only 6 threads. The next gen consoles are both confirmed as being 8 core with smt so it's not a big stretch to see lower thread count parts falling back like 4 thread parts are now.

As others have said, for pure gaming the 3700X / 3800X don't give much extra, the 3600 is the best choice, although given you are only running a 1070 for the time being then something like a R5 1600 af (or 2600 if you find one cheap) would be ideal. You can then use the superb upgrade path on AM4 to get something faster when you upgrade to an Ampere card.

For reference I'm running at original R5 1600 with a GTX 1070 founders card and everything I run on this is smooth, no stutters at all. I think technically I might be able to squeeze a few more frames out of my 1070 with a faster cpu (or even with an overclock, I'm running this stock) but the truth is the games all look great and the frame rate is consistent thanks to the 12 threads (I'm also running 16 gig's of memory, I think your 8gb ram might be a major issue).

Reactions: Matt1155 and King_V

Matt1155

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
OK folks, revised build, costs a bit more but should be more in-line with your suggestions:

Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 (Switched to this for the noise, I know the thermals aren't as good)
Ryzen 7 3800X w/ Corsair H150i
Asus Prime X570 Pro
16Gb Vengeance Pro 3200MHz
ROG Strix 2080 Super OC
Seagate Firecuda 500Gb
Corsair RM750

Any thoughts on the revised system appreciated :) Thanks again for help so far!

Reactions: cdrkf

alexcoulter111

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
That's good but looking at that storage the sshd is kinda stupid. I'd either just go with an ssd on the cheaper side or a ssd and hdd combo. I have three sshds myself and the only reason I use them is because they were free. Game loading times are only noticeable on more story-centric games, in my case Far Cry 5 and Just Cause 4. I've tested the hybrids in comparison to the hdd in my laptop and my ssd in another rig and the difference in competitive games like PUBG and COD:Warzone and the difference between the sshd and the hdd is nil while the ssd is miles faster. This is still true is FC5 and JC4 but just to a lesser extent. Something to bear in mind, that's all.

Reactions: Matt1155
That's good but looking at that storage the sshd is kinda stupid. I'd either just go with an ssd on the cheaper side or a ssd and hdd combo. I have three sshds myself and the only reason I use them is because they were free. Game loading times are only noticeable on more story-centric games, in my case Far Cry 5 and Just Cause 4. I've tested the hybrids in comparison to the hdd in my laptop and my ssd in another rig and the difference in competitive games like PUBG and COD:Warzone and the difference between the sshd and the hdd is nil while the ssd is miles faster. This is still true is FC5 and JC4 but just to a lesser extent. Something to bear in mind, that's all.

Agreed, you really want to be storing modern games on at least a sata SSD or ideally an NVME ssd for best loading performance. It's also notable that a decent size ssd isn't that expensive ~ £80 for a 1tb sata or roughly 100 for NVME (even something entry level like the Intel 660p will give a massive performance boost vs traditional drives).

It's not a bad idea to have a large hdd for storage of photos, video music and such but for games you really need the higher IO. It's not just loading times - many large open world games stream texture data on the fly and the slow read speeds of a HDD (or even hybrid drive) mean you'll get noticeable visual pop in or stutters when textures load.

Edit: Otherwise the machine looks really good - all solid components should last a long time.

Reactions: Matt1155