Reddrumjay

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Please help me with this completely incomprehensible problem. I’ve been at this for two weeks now, and I am at the end of my rope. This is not my first build. Win10 installs, goes through “setting up devices”, then “Getting Ready”, then it restarts, the splash screen refreshes three times, and on the third refresh, the spinning wheel freezes, and that’s the end of that. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Current system spec:
MoBo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
BIOS: E7B17IMS.AA0 (most current version)
RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro (CMW32GX4M2A2666C16)
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (MZ-76E1T0)
PSU: GameMax RGB-750
GPU: integrated (for now)
Case: Thermaltake V200TG

Here’s what I tried:
-A different MoBos (ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming). Yes, MoBos. Plural. Tried two of these ASUS boards first. I’m on my third board now.
- Different RAM (HyperX HX433C16PB3K4/64)
-Different Core i9 9900K
-Different Drive (Intel SSD6 1TB M.2)
-Different PSU (Corsair RM850i)
-Different CPU Fan (why not?)
-Different mouse and keyboard (trying anything)

So yeah - I’ve literally swapped out every single component except the case over the last 2 weeks.

I took pulled the drive on a different box and was able to install and setup WIN10 without issue on the Samsung drive. I pulled the Samsung drive with that fresh good install, popped it in the new build, got a message that windows couldn’t start, went through repair, and it said it couldn’t repair it. Back to square 1.

I have tried installing WIN10 from:
-A Lexar USB stick
-A PNY USB stick
-A SanDisk USB stick
-A DVD

In BIOS I have tried:
UEFI only (with and without fast boot enabled)
CSM (UEFI and Legacy+UEFI)

I pulled the CPU, put it in a known working box, and it worked fine.

I also reset CMOS to go back to defaults a couple of times.

I have tried yelling expletives. Loudly. Very loudly. A LOT.

I have tried this SO. MANY. TIMES. that I have the Windows product key memorized (Not kidding. Maybe I’ll use it for a secure password somewhere.)

On the 2nd ASUS board, I got elevated to level 3 support who couldn’t help so they gave me an RMA to send it back. That’s when I bought the MSI board. (I have a second build to do after this, so NBD.)

I refuse to believe that 1) this could be three consecutive bad MoBos ; or 2) it could be the case.

Just to go the extra mile, I put a multimeter on each pin of the GameMax PSU to make sure all the voltage was correct and it wasn’t shorting out something. Everything checked out

Here’s a video of what happens if you want a visual of the sequence. I have the timing of the freeze point precisely memorized at this point:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjRMRmhnJ4msEbLnVoaxfLyItmqfxM25/view?usp=drivesdk

If any of you can unlock the magic solution, you will be my new best friend for at least a month.

Last edited:
Solution
Please help me with this completely incomprehensible problem. I’ve been at this for two weeks now, and I am at the end of my rope. This is not my first build. Win10 installs, goes through “setting up devices”, then “Getting Ready”, then it restarts, the splash screen refreshes three times, and on the third refresh, the spinning wheel freezes, and that’s the end of that. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Current system spec:

Here’s what I tried:
-A different MoBos (ASUS TUF Z390-Plus...

Current system spec:

Here’s what I tried:
-A different MoBos (ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming). Yes, MoBos. Plural. Tried two of these ASUS boards first. I’m on my third board now.
- Different RAM (HyperX HX433C16PB3K4/64)
-Different Core i9 9900K
-Different Drive (Intel SSD6 1TB M.2)
-Different PSU (Corsair RM850i)
-Different CPU Fan (why not?)
-Different mouse and keyboard (trying anything)

So yeah - I’ve literally swapped out every single component except the case over the last 2 weeks.

I took pulled the drive on a different box and was able to install and setup WIN10 without issue on the Samsung drive. I pulled the Samsung drive with that fresh good install, popped it in the new build, got a message that windows couldn’t start, went through repair, and it said it couldn’t repair it. Back to square 1.

I have tried installing WIN10 from:
-A Lexar USB stick
-A PNY USB stick
-A SanDisk USB stick
-A DVD

In BIOS I have tried:
UEFI only (with and without fast boot enabled)
CSM (UEFI and Legacy+UEFI)

I pulled the CPU, put it in a known working box, and it worked fine.

I also reset CMOS to go back to defaults a couple of times.

I have tried yelling expletives. Loudly. Very loudly. A LOT.

I have tried this SO. MANY. TIMES. that I have the Windows product key memorized (Not kidding. Maybe I’ll use it for a secure password somewhere.)

On the 2nd ASUS board, I got elevated to level 3 support who couldn’t help so they gave me an RMA to send it back. That’s when I bought the MSI board. (I have a second build to do after this, so NBD.)

I refuse to believe that 1) this could be three consecutive bad MoBos ; or 2) it could be the case.

Just to go the extra mile, I put a multimeter on each pin of the GameMax PSU to make sure all the voltage was correct and it wasn’t shorting out something. Everything checked out

Here’s a video of what happens if you want a visual of the sequence. I have the timing of the freeze point precisely memorized at this point:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rjRMRmhnJ4msEbLnVoaxfLyItmqfxM25/view?usp=drivesdk

If any of you can unlock the magic solution, you will be my new best friend for at least a month.

-> The Corsair memory kit is not on the QVL for the MSI board. The Hyper X kit you did have is....
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-EDGE-AC#support-mem-3
  • The Corsair RM850i is a top rated high quality power supply. One of the best money can buy. The Gamemax, is a low rated pile of junk, complete with rainbow vomit lighting effects to help sell it.
  • The 860 EVO is a good drive. A 970 EVO m.2 NVME would have been a better, faster SSD.
  • Can't wait to hear what CPU cooler you picked.

Solution

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Archaic59 is correct about the importance of having RAM that is on your mobo manufacturer's QVL (Qualified Vendor List). +1 for that. I still have a few questions before jumping in. 1) Are you using a final version of Bios or a Beta Bios? 2) Are you installing the most current version of Windows 10?

TRENDING THREADS