Oct 15, 2020
Hi there, I recently built my first gaming pc, and oh boy its having problems. Whenever I turn it on, it will start booting up, and make it to the lock screen. Then it will shut down immediately. The weird thing here is that about 95% of the times I turn it on, it will not make it past the lock screen, but every so often it will make it past the lock screen and work perfectly. During one of those times when it was on I checked if the computer recognized all of the components, it recognized the RAM, CPU, and GPU perfectly in the settings. The parts I used are below:

CPU: i7-4770
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-b85m-d3h
RAM:16 GB DDR3 (4 sticks of 4)
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W (White Rating)

I've checked the connections, even though it was my first time building, I wasn't too light when plugging in connections (Not too rough though), so it can't be a loose connection. I've tried everything I can think of, if you have any ideas please let me know. Also if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask if more info is needed. Thanks!

Recheck all connections. Any power connections with a latch need to be pushed in till the latch locks (the 24-pin mobo power connector is notoriously difficult to get fully latched).

Is this running on a new/fresh install of windows for THIS machine? (not reusing a SSD/HDD that already had windows on it from another system and just plugged it into this one?)

Have you tried removing the GTX1060 from the case and just using the display outputs from the mobo? In a similar light, running with only 1 stick of RAM installed, and if that doesn't fix it, pick a different single stick (make sure you mark the pairs of RAM sticks so you don't intermingle the two kits (unless it was a 4x4GB retail kit). This is a good troubleshooting technique to reduce as many variables as possible until you've got a fully stable system. Then you can add components one by one, testing each time, to identify when instability starts, then that's your problem component.

Don't suppose you have a different PSU to try with?

Oct 15, 2020
Recheck all connections. Any power connections with a latch need to be pushed in till the latch locks (the 24-pin mobo power connector is notoriously difficult to get fully latched).

Is this running on a new/fresh install of windows for THIS machine? (not reusing a SSD/HDD that already had windows on it from another system and just plugged it into this one?)

Have you tried removing the GTX1060 from the case and just using the display outputs from the mobo? In a similar light, running with only 1 stick of RAM installed, and if that doesn't fix it, pick a different single stick (make sure you mark the pairs of RAM sticks so you don't intermingle the two kits (unless it was a 4x4GB retail kit). This is a good troubleshooting technique to reduce as many variables as possible until you've got a fully stable system. Then you can add components one by one, testing each time, to identify when instability starts, then that's your problem component.

Don't suppose you have a different PSU to try with?

Sure thing, I will recheck the connections, not sure that could be the problem because they are in snug, but I will try. Also I did remove the GPU at one point and tried to use the MOBO for a video output but I got no output, then the computer shut off as expected. I tried single RAM sticks too. And about the storage drive, I am using a new SSD from my previous PC, that could be the culprit, but I did try booting without a storage drive and it took me to the no storage drive screen, then shut off. About the PSU, I was suspecting it a bit, but then one of those odd times where the computer boots up normally happened and it ran fine, I pushed the system and it performed well.

Oct 15, 2020
One other thing to try, since this is an older platform, replace the CMOS battery.

Yea I could try that too, I didn't lose any data when it powered down but it could be worth a shot. Im just trying to isolate the problem, I know the RAM works, the GPU works, the CPU worked in my previous PC, the only things I don't know for sure are the motherboard and PSU. Do you know of any ways to test those parts?

Oct 15, 2020
I think the PSU is going to be on everyone's short list of suspects here. That's a pretty low end unit.

I agree, I am going to test it soon with another system when I can and see if it works. I bought it new so there shouldn't be problems but theres always a chance it could be faulty.

Oct 15, 2020
The computer works now! We isolated each component with a test bench and were able to see that all the parts worked fine, we just weren't able to test the motherboard. But it would load into safe mode just fine meaning the problem was a software issue. We tried updating the motherboard's BIOS and after that it would start up properly. With the minor issue of an OS error that eventually repaired itself. We stayed up til 4:30AM figuring it out but it was worth it!!