M4er1c

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Been looking on how to build a PC since November and i think its time to buy a new PC. I just want your thoughts on my PC. You may suggest other parts. Also, i dont think i will overclock so yeah. Is the 700W gonna be enough to power up another 8800 GTS G92 for the future?

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-D 750i
CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4GHz
Memory: Corsair XMS2 2x 2GB
Video Card: EVGA 8800 GTS 512MB G92
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 250GB
PSU: THermaltake Toughpower 700W
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freeze 7 Pro
Others:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
Berklin Anti Static Wrist Strap

wise_stoner

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
i recommend getting the E8400 since its cheaper, somewhat faster , and cooler then the Q6600, but The Q6600 is potentially faster when the situation calls for the use of additional cores, but it is fairly rare that a single application uses more than 2 cores at the moment. So IMO, it comes down to how much you must multitask and how much you value the possibility to leave extra applications running. If you have a habit of shutting down CPU resource intensive applications before you game, then the E8400 is the better choice. Quad-core will eventually be the way to go, but I reckon not before 'Nehalem' and If all you use your machine for is gaming, it's not really worth paying for quad core because it's going to be a while before games regularly take advantage of the extra cores to their full potential. If you're on a tight budget you can easily save yourself a bit by going dual core instead of quad core without sacrificing any in game performance.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Should look into the MX-2 thermal compound, it cools better than AS5 and isn't conductive.

Edit:
Other than that looks like a solid build. Good luck, and come back & post pictures when you're done.

M4er1c

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008

thanks for a answer that got to the point and with extra info

yeah, people suggest that also. when i click the link, it says dvd durner... does dvd burners read discs too? i mean for installing programs or games.

little bit of gaming thats all

i will if i can remember :)

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Yea probably be too busy gaming by the time it's done :p That's what happened to me after building mine last fall... installed Oblivion and wasn't seen for days.

I think you have had some good advice so far. Looks good.
The one issue I might question is sli.
SLI has been a poor upgrade path in the past. It should be used only by
those who will not currently be satisfied by the fastest available single vga card
which is currently the 8800GTX-ULTRA. The more modern 8800GTS-512-G92 is very close in performance, and has a good cooling system.
To get SLI. you have to spend more up front for a SLI capable mobo, and a
more powerful SLI capable PSU. Upgrading a single card later with a
second equal card does not get you 2x increase, it is more like 1.1x to 1.5x depending on the game.
At that time, you will still be paying top dollar for a card that is closer to
being obsolete. A higher end card will likely appear before summer. It would be better to sell the old card and use the proceeds
towards a better new generation single card.

M4er1c

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008

ehh lol, im not a hardcore gamer. i just forget things. i only play around 5 hours of games per week.

:eek: well should i get a dvd rom or dvd burner? suggest one?

M4er1c

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
new question guys... how big of a difference in games is the e6850 more then the Q6600? i heard the Q6600 is more future proof.

oh and what is LightScribe? should i get it?

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I would wait for the new intel 45nm peryn quadcores , they will be faster (more cache) and SSE4 for about the same speed/price in a few weeks.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The Arctic Cooling Freeze 7 Pro is the best HSF on the market and has been for some time (in terms of price/performance) and the base already has thermal paste on it, I don't see why you need to buy more thermal compound.

If you have a PDA or digital camera a front card reader is a godsend.