Question Newly built pc can't turn off, no beep on startup, no post

Apr 28, 2020
Hi there,

I'm a very new bc builder, as in this is my first ever build. I followed the numerous videos online, but still, the system will not start properly. However, the fans seem to run.

There are a few problems:

1) I can't turn the computer off, only on. The power button on the case does not seem to work, even if I hold it for a very long time. It can, however, turn the machine on.

2) Whether I plug my monitor into the GPU's HDMI port, or the MB's HDMI port, I get no signal. The monitor indeed works, as I use it daily.

3) When starting, I hear no beeps (although, to be honest, I don't know what those would sound like, even though it seems like I should hear them).

I have tried reducing to only one stick of ram, to reconnecting everything, etc.

Here are the specs:

MB: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (AMD Ryzen AM4/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard Wifi/HDMI/DP/USB 3.1 Gen 2/Mini ITX/Motherboard)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked 65W Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 GV-RX570GAMING-4GD REV2.0 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ White Certified PSU, Continuous Power with 120mm Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan, ATX 12V V2.3/EPS 12V Active PFC Power Supply PS-S
RAM: G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory F4-3200C16D-16GVRB
SATA Drive: ADATA SU635 240GB 3D-NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD (ASU635SS-240GQ-R)

What should I be looking for? My initial thought was that it might be the power supply, but I don't think that this build uses an excessive amount of power. All the parts are new. Perhaps I broke something when I was putting it all together. Does anybody have suggestions on what to do?

UPDATE: I unplugged everything except for CPU, PSU, and MB. I powered on but still no beep (CPU fan still runs). So, I assume the problem is with one of those components.

UPDATE 2: Reset CMOS, still, the problem persists. I plugged in a laser mouse into the USB port onto the MB and there was no light that appeared.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
I'm not an expert so take my words with barely a thought.

I'm having the same problems.

As far as your power button not working, you should ensure the front panel connectors (Power Switch specifically) is attached correctly. You can try to reset the CMOS, look up a guide for that. Also is there a POST light on?

Apr 28, 2020
I'm not an expert so take my words with barely a thought.

I'm having the same problems.

As far as your power button not working, you should ensure the front panel connectors (Power Switch specifically) is attached correctly. You can try to reset the CMOS, look up a guide for that. Also is there a POST light on?

Thanks for your reply. I checked that the power switch was attached correctly. I will try to reset the CMOS. As for the POST light, I'm not sure my motherboard has one. It does have a speaker header that I attached the speaker that came with the MB. The manual says that this is where the beep codes should emit.

the majoprity of PC cases do not come with a PC spreaker now but mosts motherbords have debug lights or a LED display on them to show errors.

make sure you have the case wires connected to the right pins on the motherbord

use the manual that comes with the motherbord and case to guide you

Apr 28, 2020
the majoprity of PC cases do not come with a PC spreaker now but mosts motherbords have debug lights or a LED display on them to show errors.

make sure you have the case wires connected to the right pins on the motherbord

use the manual that comes with the motherbord and case to guide you

This MB has a speaker header, which you attach a small one they include with the MB. This will output beep codes.