Question Newly built PC wont boot, only LEDs on Motherboard flash for split second.

Zetrix88

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
Hello everyone I am having this issue with new PC. All it does when I start it as very quick flash of the LEDs on the mobo. No fans spinning or anything
HERE is vid of it booting.

I tried unplugging everything except the MOBO 24 Pin from the PSU and the issue is the same. Does that mean the PSU or MOBO is dead?

Also, only hard drive and PSU were already in use, everything else is brand new.

This is the build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Tempest 360 G Water Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory : Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N3060EAGLE-12GD GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair VS650 (2018) 650 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Hello everyone I am having this issue with new PC. All it does when I start it as very quick flash of the LEDs on the mobo. No fans spinning or anything
HERE is vid of it booting.

I tried unplugging everything except the MOBO 24 Pin from the PSU and the issue is the same. Does that mean the PSU or MOBO is dead?

Also, only hard drive and PSU were already in use, everything else is brand new.

This is the build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Tempest 360 G Water Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory : Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-N3060EAGLE-12GD GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card
What about BIOS ? Up to date ?

DavidM012

Distinguished

Psu Tier List

Tier E • Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios

Corsair | VS 2012 [orange-label]

oo another scenario it's potentially dangerous in? I'd start with power supply been a pizza de resistance get a better one / do not mix/match cables between modular power supplies

Zetrix88

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021

Psu Tier List

Tier E • Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios

Corsair | VS 2012 [orange-label]

oo another scenario it's potentially dangerous in? I'd start with power supply been a pizza de resistance get a better one / do not mix/match cables between modular power supplies

My suspicion is PSU aswell. I ordered new one: Tempest PSU PRO 850W 80+

I forgot to mention. This PSU was working fine with my older setup. Just when I put it in this new built its this issue I am getting

Zetrix88

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
don't get any reviews of it in ingwish why not a corsair tx 650m instead or if you want to dice with inferior power supplies an evga GQ is tier c?

Its good Spanish brand I am quite confident with. EVGA was bit more on the pricey side. And I wasnt sure the PSU is the issue.

Anyway I got the new PSU and tried booting up with it. And same exact problem. So I am really thinking its actually the motherboard.

DavidM012

Distinguished
You might've got a board with an out of date bios, support for the 5000 series was added sep 18 2020. Hard to understand how it could've been on the shelf for so long or if they still don't ship new ones with the latest bios. Where'd you buy it?

According to the manual you can use q flash to update the bios to the latest version.

Q-Flash Plus Button (Note 3) Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

That looks simple. Just dload the latest bios, load onto a usb flash drive, plug into port and press the button. The system should be plugged into the mains so power's going to it but shut down.

Last edited:

Zetrix88

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
You might've got a board with an out of date bios, support for the 5000 series was added sep 18 2020. Hard to understand how it could've been on the shelf for so long or if they still don't ship new ones with the latest bios. Where'd you buy it?

According to the manual you can use q flash to update the bios to the latest version.

Q-Flash Plus Button (Note 3) Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

That looks simple. Just dload the latest bios, load onto a usb flash drive, plug into port and press the button. The system should be plugged into the mains so power's going to it but shut down.

OK some update, I actually returned the mobo and got the ax version. But I am having another issue right now. The pc boots but I have no display. Zero signal to monitor.

You are correct that they say u should update the bios to at least f10. After a lot of struggle k think I managed to update it using the q flash like you described,but I can't tell for sure because basically blind.

I'll just try booting it up now and see if I get display, if I dont I really don't know what to do.

Do u have some other ideas?

DavidM012

Distinguished
What. did you download the right bios for your mobo? You know the AX version will have it's own unique support page and bios, right? What's the full model name of 'the ax version'?

You got a different mobo so you can't use the link for the first model of mobo you had.

The twinkly led will stop flashing when flashing is complete.

What to do, identify your mobo model, find it's support page, dload the correct bios and hope it works. Well if the bios chip is corrupted because it has the wrong bios then what I would probably do is find a new bios chip online and purchase it with the latest bios installed and pull the old chip (with the power off since we're now getting complicated) or since you are unlikely to succeed in that send your board back again and get another one if it doesn't work.

Don't be noob. I am also unprepared for it. Touch anything do anything without asking first or saying what's changed like the model of mobo is quite critical.

Captains Log, stardate Friday Morning: noob gets scary with AX mobo

Last edited:

Zetrix88

Commendable
Aug 30, 2021
What. did you download the right bios for your mobo? You know the AX version will have it's own unique support page and bios, right? What's the full model name of 'the ax version'?

You got a different mobo so you can't use the link for the first model of mobo you had.

The twinkly led will stop flashing when flashing is complete.

What to do, identify your mobo model, find it's support page, dload the correct bios and hope it works. Well if the bios chip is corrupted because it has the wrong bios then what I would probably do is find a new bios chip online and purchase it with the latest bios installed and pull the old chip (with the power off since we're now getting complicated) or since you are unlikely to succeed in that send your board back again and get another one if it doesn't work.

Don't be noob. I am also unprepared for it. Touch anything do anything without asking first or saying what's changed like the model of mobo is quite critical.

Captains Log, stardate Friday Morning: noob gets scary with AX mobo

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10/support#support-dl

It's exactly this one, and yes or course I was careful and downloaded the correct BIOS.

The q flash update actually did exactly what its supposed to, first it was flashing rapidly to prepare for flashing, then slowly, my system turned on and it was updating. Then the system shut off on itself and led stopped blinking.

I put back all the components because its advised to have just the 24 pin and 8 pin In mobk connected while u are flashing. And now I am back where I was. It just flashes when I click the psu on. Now it doesn't even start.

Srsly stupid, I found online a lot of ppl have this issue with this board. Won't buy gigabyte again. There is some incompability between the cpu, mobo and bios versions.