Question No Post After raising CPU voltage in BIOS

Scolar45

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
So today I decided I was going to attempt a easy beginners overclocking session. I didn’t want to go through the process in the BIOS and wanted to keep it simply thus I used Intel‘s XTU. With my luck I was getting a current limit throttling issue. Decided to go into the BIOS and raise the CPU voltage as that is recommended by Intel. That’s when everything went down hill...

After increasing the value from auto I exit out and attempted a reboot but now the system won’t post. I’ve tried resetting the CMOS and running with bare minimums, etc still with no luck. I have noticed the CPU EZ debug led is on. Now I’m concerned that I may have damaged the CPU and it will need to be replaced.

SPECS:
MSI 370-A Pro motherboard
Intel I7-9700k
2080ti
(If you need all system specs I can provided them but it’s not easy to type them out a long list on a phone)

Thank you in advance!

Are you confident you did clear CMOS.?
Disconnect power from the wall and remove the CMOS battery. After 10mins replace the battery and power up. If no luck and you cannot access Bios then yes you may well have damaged the CPU.

You changed the CPU Core voltage in Bios. What voltage did you set?
Interactions with third party apps and Bios can corrupt the Bios. Never make changes in Bios without prior knowledge of the consequence as you can brick the MB.

If your unable to access Bios then the only way is to replace it. You have a "K" processor so try to RMA.

Last edited:
There's a chance of danger in the BIOS voltage adjustments of some mainboards, depending on how clear it is in the options to simply add voltage (which is the way the XTU does it), vice specifying a target voltage, which can clearly lead to a disaster if accidentally adding 1.28V when really what was intended was to add only .05V, for example)

Scolar45

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Are you confident you did clear CMOS.?
Disconnect power from the wall and remove the CMOS battery. After 10mins replace the battery and power up. If no luck and you cannot access Bios then yes you may well have damaged the CPU.

You changed the CPU Core voltage in Bios. What voltage did you set?
Interactions with third party apps and Bios can corrupt the Bios. Never make changes in Bios without prior knowledge of the consequence as you can brick the MB.

If your unable to access Bios then the only way is to replace it. You have a "K" processor so try to RMA.
I’m confident that I cleared the CMOS. I did do it again and I followed your exact instructions still with no luck.

I believe I set the voltage at 1.5 but I’m not 100% sure. But this was hours ago and I increased in increments to see the exact numbers so I just have a slight memory of my inputs.

I do have a I7-7700K (same socket I believe) in another system. Could I use that to test if my current CPU is faulty? I just want to make sure whatever caused this issue won’t reoccur and then I end up with two bad CPUs.

Scolar45

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
There's a chance of danger in the BIOS voltage adjustments of some mainboards, depending on how clear it is in the options to simply add voltage (which is the way the XTU does it), vice specifying a target voltage, which can clearly lead to a disaster if accidentally adding 1.28V when really what was intended was to add only .05V, for example)
If I did indeed damage something by adding too much voltage what exactly would be affected? CPU, mother board, or both?

Quote/
If I did indeed damage something by adding too much voltage what exactly would be affected? CPU, mother board, or both? end Quote/

Both can happen however 1.5V on the core would not kill the CPU but not recommended for longevity.
When you don't have dual Bios and it's bricked then the Bios chip needs to be replaced.

Scolar45

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
Quote/
If I did indeed damage something by adding too much voltage what exactly would be affected? CPU, mother board, or both? end Quote/

Both can happen however 1.5V on the core would not kill the CPU but not recommended for longevity.
When you don't have dual Bios and it's bricked then the Bios chip needs to be replaced.
So it wouldn’t kill the CPU but maybe the motherboard? Are you saying it could be a motherboard bios chip issue?

Neither CPU nor Motherboard would be damaged with Vcore set at 1.5V
Your Bios is equipped with M-Flash when in Bios. If your Bios is corrupted and none accessible and you don't have flashback via the IO port then you will have to get a technician to replace the Bios chip.