Question No signal/black screen on a new PC build, gone through the list and nothing worked

Dec 26, 2019
Hi all,

I built a new PC and have spent the entire day trying to figure out why I just get a black screen. I've tried going though the troubleshooting list on this site, and bar removing the motherboard from the case I did every other step of the breadboarding process. My mobo doesn't have a little speaker which is a pain too.

It boots up, all fans spin, it stays on indefinitely, the HDD light blinks normally, so does the keyboard - it looks and sounds like it's working just fine; there's just no signal.

I can only think that the firmware on the board needs updating, even though it specifically lists my CPU as compatible (and if that is the problem, I don't know how to go about it)

The compoents are:

AMD Ryzen 2600
Radeon A9 290X
Asus B450M-K motherboard
Corsair 3000mhz ram (16gb)

I'm using a 650w power supply

I'm totally stumped and only have a couple of days to get it working (I'm building it for my kid brother who I'm only visiting for christmas). Help would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Dec 26, 2019
What video cable using for connecting the monitor (not tv)? Make sure also that it is connected to the graphics card, and not to motherboard.
To connect to the monitor I used an HDMI cable from the GPU, and also tried a VGA cable from the mobo both with and without the GPU installed

Dec 26, 2019
Yeah I tried on two TVs as well, using an HDMI cable for each of those, but there was no signal whatsoever :( When I tried on the monitor, it did seem like there was no signal but it did react to me plugging and unplugging the cable (it would be a black screen, then the screen seemed to go into standby after a minute, and then when I unplugged the HDMI cable, it would flicker and then say "No signal" on the screen)