[SOLVED] "No Signal" Monitor > PC fans still running > Need to reset PSU

UltimateOssas

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
I just got a new PC since I thought my laptop was acting up. Before getting a PC, I was running my laptop without a battery. I can run everything fine in my laptop except gaming where after playing for a few minutes (longest was an hour and a half, shortest was about 5 minutes), laptop would shut off as if power was cut off and I can't turn it on until a few hours.

Now that I have a PC, the same issue persists. This time, monitor would lose signal when gaming for the same duration, but the LEDs of the case fans and the CPU fan is still on. There is no audio, peripherals such as my mouse and keyboard would restart but long-pressing the PC won't boot it off. I had to reset my PSU (via I/O switch) in order to restart the PC.

Here are my findings:
  • I tried changing outlets, still the same problem. This should exclude dirty power from my home + my brother isn't experiencing the same problem.
  • Normally for it to be stable, I had to switch the PSU off an on ONCE whenever the problem happens. Afterwards, I can play games without a problem...
  • In continuation with the previous finding above: This only applies when the PC is still plugged in the same outlet. When I now change outlets WITHOUT resetting the PSU, the problem happens (booting off after a few minutes of gaming). It's like something is resetting?.. idk

Here were my actions, from which none helped:
  • Checked for malware using MalwareBytes, HitmanPro, and RKill. None detected.
  • Turned off fast boot in Power options. Using a Balanced Power Plan.
  • Used an AVR.
  • Torture tested CPU. (Temps reached 95C, no shutdowns)
  • Stress tested RAMs. Passed.
  • Updated AMD drivers.

System Info:
  • Gigabyte B550m DS3H (BIOS version: F13)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (No OC)
  • GSkill Ripjaws 16GB 2x8GB 3600MHz (XMP Profile was enabled @ 3600MHz, currently trying in 3200MHz, will update)
  • ASUS TUF Gaming Bronze 80+ 650W

Important Notes:
  • The same problem was happening on my laptop.
  • Only happens when gaming. Using other apps such as video editing softwares + playing a browser game (I tried Skribbl.io, worked fine) doesn't boot the PC off.
  • Plugged in the same outlet, resetting the PSU (via I/O switch) in order to restart the PC makes gaming stable (no boot-offs).

Miscellaneous Info:
  • I was playing TFT and Valorant on my laptop when the problem happened.
  • I was playing Genshin Impact on my PC when the problem happened.

I'm really frustrated as I've already asked on numerous subreddits, and almost all replies say "Prolly a bad PSU". It's a new PC, and it does not add up since it also happened to my laptop. I'd be happy to provide more details.

Solution
Normally for it to be stable, I had to switch the PSU off an on ONCE whenever the problem happens. Afterwards, I can play games without a problem...
You might want to check out your wiring in your house since a grounding issue can warrant an user to discharge the system, which often times can be done with turning the rocker switch on the PSU off and then back on. Do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the chassis and have your feet making contact with a tiled(not carpeted/non-wooden) floor?

You have BIOS versions pending update. Skip F14 and update with F15a.

Prolly a bad PSU". It's a new PC,
There still is a high probability that you got a bad unit in your hands in spite of it being made by Asus. The...

Lutfij

Titan
Normally for it to be stable, I had to switch the PSU off an on ONCE whenever the problem happens. Afterwards, I can play games without a problem...
You might want to check out your wiring in your house since a grounding issue can warrant an user to discharge the system, which often times can be done with turning the rocker switch on the PSU off and then back on. Do you get a mild tingling sensation when you touch the chassis and have your feet making contact with a tiled(not carpeted/non-wooden) floor?

There still is a high probability that you got a bad unit in your hands in spite of it being made by Asus. The same has happened to Asus motherboard's during the pandemic.

What OS are you working with and where did you source your OS installer?

Solution

UltimateOssas

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020

There still is a high probability that you got a bad unit in your hands in spite of it being made by Asus. The same has happened to Asus motherboard's during the pandemic.

What OS are you working with and where did you source your OS installer?

My home doesn't have a ground, and that would be a "country" problem as grounding is not really a thing here idk why... My brother however isn't experiencing the same thing as me though.

I can't tell if there's tingling or just the subtle vibrations of the fans on the PC. Can I test this with a multimeter?

I did notice earlier that BIOS needs an update, I was hesitating at first since people say I don't need to update BIOS if I don't really need to (might lead to some instability.) But I'll see what happens, will try to update now.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the last question. I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I wasn't the one who installed it. It came along with the computer shop that built it. I was able to update Windows to the latest version, which should mean it's legit right?

Last edited:

UltimateOssas

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
I'll be trying to keep this thread alive until I find the culprit and/or solution.

After disabling the XMP Profile (from 3600MHz to 3200MHz), always turning off the PSU when shutting the PC down, and updating the BIOS, the problem seemed to go away as I was able to play a game for an hour.

Now, I don't know which of the three things I mentioned work or how accurate my results are. Here are my further troubleshooting steps in order to specify which was causing the problem:
  • Set the XMP Profile back to 3600MHz and see if the PC boots off when gaming. If successful, RAM wouldn't be the problem. Proceed to next step.
  • Try not turning off the PSU and just go straight to switching off the power strip. If not failing, then PSU is not the fault and would point to the outdated BIOS I just updated previously from F13 -> F15a.

Before I do the mentioned steps, I would first try to game again tomorrow and see if the system really is stable. I'll update the thread afterwards.

UltimateOssas

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
No. 95C on cpu is not normal.
Get a better cpu cooler.

I was told that the stock cooler was enough for the 5600G as long as I don't plan overclocking it... But I do plan to invest on a better CPU cooler in the future. I'll take it as a note, thanks.

Check the voltage and ground at your outlet.

After that I would do absolutely nothing but send it back it's not your problem.

Voltages on my outlets are about 220V, but no grounds. As I said, grounds aren't a thing here and yea it's weird. But my brother's PC, which does not have a ground, runs well for about 6 years now.

I'm in the process of checking out which is the culprit (XMP, PSU, or BIOS). If none of them was, then I might send it back as you say.

Last edited:

UltimateOssas

Prominent
Oct 26, 2020
So - what did you change, to make it stable?

As I mentioned earlier, I updated the BIOS to the latest version, turned off XMP Profile and changed RAM Freq from 3600 to 3200 MHz, and switching off the I/O switch of the PSU whenever I shutdown the PC. After doing all these three, the PC didn't crash anymore when gaming, but now I wondered which of the three solutions worked....

So what I first did was turned XMP Profile back on. After playing for 2 hours, PC did not boot off. That crosses out the RAM.

I then did not try to switch off the I/O switch of the PSU when I shut the PC off. After gaming for the same duration, PC did not boot off.

That leaves the BIOS, which should mean that the version I had before was not stable. I don't know why, and I don't find any similar problems on reddit that uses the same setup as mine. But I did find that the recent updates had a fix/upgrade on the memory capability/compatibility? Something along those lines that probably marks the XMP of the RAM as the problem before the BIOS update.