Feb 18, 2019
Hello! I have an issue with a new PC regarding the sound. There is no sound coming out from the speakers or headphones! The only sound is a static noise. It's really bothering, because it was the least issue i expected to have and im scared that the motherboard is faulty.

Those are the speca:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z390 PRO
BIOS: F8 (pretty new)
CPU: i5-9600k
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus RTX 2060 xtreme
RAM: Corsair 16gb dual 3000 mhz CL15
HDD: 7200rpm 1TB
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 plus 500GB
PSU: Corsair GOLD 650w
Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock 4
Case: Thermaltake Commander RGB.

This is what i did so far with no good results:
  1. Unplugged and plug again from front to rear panel. Did this with different headphones and speakers. Also checked to be the right cable socket.
  2. Set as default, from Sounds control panel, on headphones; speakers; Realtek device. Testing the devices which showed to be read by windows and having the volume animation working while playing a song.
  3. Disable or at least making sure the sound enchancment is not present.
  4. Changing sound frequencies.
  5. Troubleshooting with windows.
  6. Updating drivers from device manager, reinstalling and installing again. Installing from the gigabyte support mobo page.
  7. Checking the realtek application where the sound sockets seemed to be read by the application and showing what device is plugged (headphones).
  8. Disabled the nvidia hd audio driver (thought maybe a conflict can occur).

The thing is that the audio seems to work very well on the monitor speakers when setting it as default. I really have no ideea what else i can do and i am frustrated and stressed with the ideea that the motherboard sound card could be faulty, which sucks because i have to take all the pieces out. 😟🔫

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot!

You can perform a relatively quick test in order to see if there is a hardware fault or not:
Get in hand a Linux live-CD (Ubuntu or Mint should do well), make a bootable DVD or usb stick, and boot up. Choose desired audio output and try play a sound file from your local disk (or just go straight to youtube, soundcloud, etc) and see if it works.

If it play well inside Linux, then it strongly indicates an issue related to Windows driver / update.

Feb 18, 2019
You can perform a relatively quick test in order to see if there is a hardware fault or not:
Get in hand a Linux live-CD (Ubuntu or Mint should do well), make a bootable DVD or usb stick, and boot up. Choose desired audio output and try play a sound file from your local disk (or just go straight to youtube, soundcloud, etc) and see if it works.

If it play well inside Linux, then it strongly indicates an issue related to Windows driver / update.
Hello! Thank you for this idea, ill try it when ill get back home, right now im out of the city. I have never used Linux or had any interactions with it. Is it risky? Can Linux damage my windows or create any conflicts after I try this? Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
Did you make any changes to your PC prior to the sound cutting out?
Hello! No changes were made. The components were brand new and handled with care! I plugged everything in the case, made the wire management and open my PC. Installed windows like I do everytime, then drivers, then programs that I use. When I opened the youtube I had no sound. So no changes were made. Thanks!