Jul 7, 2019
I just got a Corsair H100i Pro a few weeks ago and installed it in my pc on a ryzen 7 2700x. At 0% load, I'm seeing temperatures around 75 degrees C. I know it is installed properly and I used a liquid metal thermal paste to help with cooling. Before installing it in this pc, I had it in a PC with an i7-4790k and that one was experiencing temperatures in the 70s at idle temp as well. The fans are running but I have no idea if the pump is running. How can I find out if the issue is the pump?

Solution
X model Ryzen have 2 temp sensors. one for internal use by XFR and another one for use by coolers which is 10c lower and that's the one important to user.
Use HW Info and you will see both of those temps and important one to use is "CPU (Tdie)" with CPU (Tcl) is without that 10c offset.
Although Ryzen has sensor for every core only highest core temp is reported and internal ones are used by XFR and safety switches so they can adjust each core separately according to it's temp.
1st gen Ryzen has 20c offset but all else works same. With good cooler, idle temps should be about 10c higher than environment and full load up to very safe 70c for best performance.
Jul 7, 2019
Are you sure you are reading it correctly and it's not 75°F? What's load temps look like?
Is it possible that the temperature reading at the cpu is incorrect? I loaded up battlefield V and it was seeing some pretty high loads. Never really went over about 88 Celsius. I figure if the cooler wasn’t doing it’s job, those temperatures would have skyrocketed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never seen bios report inaccurate temps. High temps yes, the cpu in bios is under a load, so isn't idle like it is in OS. But that cpu with that cooler shouldn't be beyond 50's in bios.

It's possible the pump isn't working, it's also possible you missed a step in the installation process such as removing the safety plastic from under the pump. It's also possible you are one of those ppl who will not tighten screws because you are scared of breaking the cpu. It's also possible that that liquid metal Tim you used isn't doing its job right, I've never liked using that under a cpu cooler. Under a lid, sure, but not under the cooler. Far too great a possibility for error, either in the concave nature of the cooler base/lid leaving air gaps or one tiny drip running down the cpu into the pins, which then shorts out the cpu and cannot be cleaned out of the socket.

Try coretemp, set it for distance to TjMax, the bigger the number, the better. If it's seeing temps in the teens then guaranteed there's a temp issue.

Worst case scenario, use the stock Wraith cooler and see what it's temps are reading.

Reactions: zeroxerozyro
Jul 7, 2019
I appreciate the reply. Definitely a lot of things that could have been wrong and definitely a lot of things that could have been my fault. However, after painstakingly trying to figure this out from 11:30 pm to about 5am, it turns out it IS a false reading from the BIOS. Not sure the cause, but did a little digging and apparently it’s an issue with Ryzen R 7s. Using an alternate thermal sensor, had my cpu under 60-70% load for hours and it never reached past 54 Celsius, while the BIOS CPU temp was in wildly high ranges.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh. That's a new one on me. I'm guessing that what threw me off was the fact that you also saw similar temps on an intel platform, so same cooler but no Ryzen, same results. The chances of misreading from Both bios are so astronomically small you could add exponents to the number.

But it is good it's working.

May 4, 2019
Sounds like the bios needs an update - there has been some confusion over the Ryzen temperature reporting scheme.
You seem to have worked out your problem, but in general, the way to tell if the pump is working is to look for where the temperature in the various components is highest. If the pump is not working properly, then the water block will heat up to the temperature of the IHS while the radiator remains relatively cool. If the water block is cool while the IHS is hot, then you have a problem with your water block to IHS thermal path. If the water block and IHS are at the same or nearly the same temperature, and things are still hot, then you have a processor with a poor die to IHS thermal path, and you are screwed, short of de-lidding.

Measuring the IHS temperature is not easy, but you can get an approximation with an IR thermometer. Just understand that such a device does not give a true measurement of temperature, but it can be useful for comparisons.

X model Ryzen have 2 temp sensors. one for internal use by XFR and another one for use by coolers which is 10c lower and that's the one important to user.
Use HW Info and you will see both of those temps and important one to use is "CPU (Tdie)" with CPU (Tcl) is without that 10c offset.
Although Ryzen has sensor for every core only highest core temp is reported and internal ones are used by XFR and safety switches so they can adjust each core separately according to it's temp.
1st gen Ryzen has 20c offset but all else works same. With good cooler, idle temps should be about 10c higher than environment and full load up to very safe 70c for best performance.

Last edited:
Solution