Question Notebook's Audio issue, should I consider a DAC?

Jan 13, 2020
Hello,
Good day.

I have an old K55VJ series laptop from ASUS, I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on my SSD as my mechanical hard-drive failed after eight years of faithful service.

When I booted up the PC after the install, I noticed my speaker (audio) icon with a red cross on it. I installed drivers and updated the OS, it didn't help. Then I jumped to the Device Manager to check on the hardware. Under Sound,Video and game controllers all I could see was Intel(R) display audio.

On hovering over the speaker icon on the taskbar, the pop-over displays "No Audio output device is installed". Troubleshooting and the research points to it likely being a Hardware issue.
  • Is there a way to solve this issue?
  • Should I consider buying an external USB DAC/AMP? will that work?

Jan 13, 2020
Check start>run>msconfig , and services.msc for any audio related stuff, and check if windows audio is checked.
Also check bios settings sound related.
Hi, Me 1

Thanks for the reply.
I already checked for Windows services, they look correct.

Hence my assumption of a hardware issue.

As for BIOS settings, I do have a 2012 "AMERIAN MEGATRENDS BIOS with Aptio utility.

Any suggestions on a USB DAC AMP?
Is that worth considering? Since I do not have audio.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Well, some old drivers work in win 10, some not.
Have you manually tried to install it, by downloading and extract the driver file and point the device that is missing the driver ( in device manager) to the .inf file ? Or have you tried to install in compatibility mode?

And just to be sure, check bios to see if device is enabled, and other sound related stuff.
About usb dac amp, sorry but i don't know much.

Last edited: