Question Nvidia Gpu and FREESYNC Monitor

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Hey guys I realized i have a freesync monitor which i know is amd only supported. I have a gtx 1060 gpu as well. ive noticed when i full screen games, the monitor automatically puts itself at 75hz which doesnt seem bad but it definitely causes skips and games to run less smooth. in the monitor settings i have freesync turned off as well. I would like my monitor to stay at 60 hz. is there anyway to make it not do this? Thanks for the help in advance!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which monitor is it and what video cable are you using? Are you certain Freesync with this monitor can't be used with Gsync?

If setting in Windows or Nvidia to 60Hz and monitor is changing to 75Hz there may be another setting in the monitor or possibly 75Hz is set in GeForce Experience if you use this to optimise games.

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
The monitor i am using is asus vg245h. And tbh im not certain about that at all because im not very educated on freesync/gsync. Uhm i dont think thats a setting in geforce experience because i dont use that for my games. I just know whenever i full screen a game, i see my nvidia control panel switch my display setting from a native setting to a "pc" setting which is 1920x1080 and 75hz, while on the native settings its only 60hz. idk what could be changing it thats why im so lost

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The PC setting is what you should be using afaik. Can you change Hz to to 60 if you leave it on PC?

I checked your monitor and it doesn't have Displayport which is a shame because Nvidia has made it possible to run Freesync on 10series cards and up with Displayport cable. Never mind.

Regarding game's not running smoothly when it's set to 75Hz, have you tried enabling Vsync? If you don't like the input lag, get a frame rate limiter like Msi Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector and set a frame value of 73fps and keep Vsync on. Should help with micro stutters and with Vsync on should look smoother without the input lag.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
i5 7600k or i7 7700k?

Between the i5's, no difference. If 7700k then yes, 4cores 8threads will come in handy for recent games.

What motherboard do you have? 100 series will need a bios update to run 7th gen. If you don't want to do that then i7 6700k (4cores / 8 threads) will be a better upgrade over i5 7600k.

--

The extra threads will help but for a 1060, you probably wont notice much. Depends how much cpu is used in games you play. If cpu usage is nearing on 100% then yea an i7 would benefit. 4 cores is pretty much minimum nowadays.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you running Windows 10?

If so, have you looked into disabling game recording? It's a recording feature of Game bar (on by default) records your game play for sharing, this takes up cpu resources. If nothing is done with the file it is discarded and next time you launch a game, same thing happens over and over.

How to disable:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...game-recording-broadcasting-windows-10-a.html

yaboibaron

Reputable
Oct 12, 2017
Ok awesome! ive had tht dvr thing disabled for a long while now. So update, i tried making a custom resolution with 62hz and putting my game in fullscreen, but it still sends it back to another option at 75hz. kinda getting annoyed :(

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Check Gamebar settings again coz it can be turned back on after major updates to windows.

Try setting hertz under Windows - resolution - monitor adapter. Nvidia isn't the only place to change hz. Though might not make any difference but give it a go.

How's your games feel if you turn on vsync in NvidiaCP manage 3d settings?