Nvidia PNY Geforce 9800 GT EE Overclocking recommendations

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Okay, so now i have my new 1024MB Geforce 9800 GT graphics card ^.^
Its energy efficient so its slightly underclocked, and the fan speed was set at a default of 35%. I upped the fan to 50%, i noticed it a little hot at 35.

Now i'm thinking of Clocking it. It is a Geforce 9800 GT so it does use the exact same processors as a regular 9800 GT, no?
I want to be sure since if i overclock to the speed of a normal 9800 GT it wouldn't have any chance of damaging the graphics card. I'll be clocking it to what the normal 9800 GT has.

So if anyone has done their homework and has knowledge about this, if i overclock the Shader clock to 1500 MHz from 1375 MHz, and the Core Clock from 550 MHz to 600 MHz, would this be bad for the card at all, and how much of an increase in performance would i have if i do so? And if its possible to clock it even higher without damaging the card at all. Cause, i don't wanna Clock it for just a minimal performance boost if it has a chance at damaging the card.

This card also does not have a 6-pin connector like a normal 9800 GT.

I have a 650W Antec EarthWatts PSU

Solution
Don't expect much since the max the EE cards can do is 75w while a standard 9800gt can use up to 105w (vrm limitations). 65nm core with good cooling and 6pin power 700 core with shaders linked while a 55nm with 6pin power is around 740 core shaders linked. The EE may be capped around 600 with shaders linked. The shader clocks are horrible. I don't see why people buy these when they can get the higher end version for the same price.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I also have another question about the power connector, this GPU doesn't use the connector to draw extra power from the power supply, and the only difference, as of what i can see from the version that does draw power directly from the psu is that the one that has it is clocked slightly higher. so if i clock this one to what the other models are clocked at, and since it doesn't have a 6 pin connector would that effect performance? or will my motherboard not be able to support enough power to my GPU to be clocked that high?

Don't expect much since the max the EE cards can do is 75w while a standard 9800gt can use up to 105w (vrm limitations). 65nm core with good cooling and 6pin power 700 core with shaders linked while a 55nm with 6pin power is around 740 core shaders linked. The EE may be capped around 600 with shaders linked. The shader clocks are horrible. I don't see why people buy these when they can get the higher end version for the same price.

Solution

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I have really good ventilation in my system so if i overclocked it heat wouldn't be a problem since i can easily monitor it as well, under load only at 52C with 50% fan speed. But since it takes less watts then the average, what would happen if i overclocked it? Hm, and i just basically though this was an underclocked 9800 GT with all the same processors and shaders linked to make it energy efficient and set fan default speed to 35% to consume less energy.
But since it does use less energy, i'm starting to think its just safe to adjust the fan speed, but it doesn't matter, card plays all the games i need no lag with great fps, except in Aion, when i'm in a really crowded area, only on highest settings of course, small drop in fps.

I heard people overclocking this card with no problem, and some saying they had it draw up to 110W, though i'm not sure on the specifics since as you've said i've read it can only do 66-75W

Here is what is the problem you wont be able to reach the same clocks since the gpu will need more power than what the pci-e connector can provide. My 55nm 9800gt 1gb tops out at 740 core with shaders linked while my 65nm is 700 with shaders linked. Both cards use two sources of power while yours only one. You might get to 600 core with shaders linked but that is all what I would expect.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Oh alright, thanks. Since its source of power can only provide 75W of energy i won't be able to reach clocks higher then what the GPU is already clocked at, or at least any much higher.

Since a regular 9800GT can reach up to 105W max when it is overclocked with max fan speed, that would mean 75W is just right for my 9800GT EE. Since at its current clock, i should be in safe range to perform its current clock speed well, and it also gives me room to adjust fan speed.

So since i know more about my GPU now, i don't think i'll be overclocking it. It runs well as is, safely and in performance.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I also have a 9800GT EE and i'll do anything to boost it to even get 3-4 more fps in crysis, is it safe to take it from 550 to 600? I atleast want this to be how a regular 9800GT is..

Have you had experience overclocking it? and if so did you notice a performance increase?

thanks

voltagenic

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
aActually, I just finished over clocking my PNY Nvidia 9800Gt EE XLR8 1024mb graphics card. With the newest firmware drivers for Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and EVGA Precision overclocking utility, I was able to overclock my 9800Gt EE speeds to that of a regular 9800GT. AND it's running at a decent temp of 46 with the fan on 50%. Not too shabby if you ask me

pix below:
6tn.png

A standard 9800gt easily breezes by those speeds. Even my 8800gtx overclocks beyond that but any way good job and take care of the card. Never let it get hot.

aaqibi

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
yes you can easily over clock it to the standard settings of 9800GT but after many benchmarks I only found an increase of 1-2 fps so why should I overclock it.
my runs with 60-62C on full load