Ad33b

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
So the new Samsung evo 970 plus m2 nvme dropped ,And i need to know if its compatible with my laptop ,(Or any Nvme for that matter ),Here is the info:
-Laptop : Acer Predator 15 G9 592 6th gen Processor.
-bios Version : 1.08 .
-Windows Ver : Windows 10 Home 64 bit 10.0 built 17134.
I used HWINFO64 and it says that i have a PCIe gen 3 which is basically a Nvme Slot (i think ) here a Pic for more descriptive info.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

you might already have one installed, if not, it looks like you can. the new versions on Amazon ship with them already installed.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Gaming-GTX980M-G9-592-73BR/dp/B01ER4AQJE

you may or may not have a dedicated M.2 slot, if you do, go for it, if not settle for a 2.5" SSD. Every one I see on Newegg or Amazon has a 128GB or a 512 GB PCIe SSD already installed. it probably hosts the OS. they also come with 1TB HDD for storage

Ad33b

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
you might already have one installed, if not, it looks like you can. the new versions on Amazon ship with them already installed.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-Gaming-GTX980M-G9-592-73BR/dp/B01ER4AQJE

you may or may not have a dedicated M.2 slot, if you do, go for it, if not settle for a 2.5" SSD. Every one I see on Newegg or Amazon has a 128GB or a 512 GB PCIe SSD already installed. it probably hosts the OS. they also come with 1TB HDD for storage
As you said it already came Pre-installed from the company so its verified as compatible , My problem is that mine came with a SATA III M.2 SSD ,And where ever i check for specification for this model it all says PCIe but not NVMe
Which is kind of ambiguous.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
As you said it already came Pre-installed from the company so its verified as compatible , My problem is that mine came with a SATA III M.2 SSD ,And where ever i check for specification for this model it all says PCIe but not NVMe
Which is kind of ambiguous.

I think that means it goes in the M.2 slot, but uses SATA protocol rather than NVMe protocol.

If my understanding is correct, that means it'll be limited to SATA 3 speeds, rather than being able to run as fast as NVMe drives are capable of.... but don't quote me on that!

Ad33b

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
I think that means it goes in the M.2 slot, but uses SATA protocol rather than NVMe protocol.

If my understanding is correct, that means it'll be limited to SATA 3 speeds, rather than being able to run as fast as NVMe drives are capable of.... but don't quote me on that!
Yea that's what i meant, This laptop has two M.2 slots one that is SATA III and the other one (which my current SSD is mounted on) is a PCIe slot .

D

Deleted member 14196

if you are replacing the nvme drive, use the pcie slot, if adding another m.2 use a sata m.2 for sure and use the appropriate slot. if you could provide the EXACT model number, maybe we could find out for sure instead of guessing, what you gave us up top just brings up the ones that say pcie, the specs are wanting.

The Samsung SSD PM871 MZNLN512HCJH that came with your laptop is definitely an M.2 SATA III SSD.

In your HWiNFO image it shows that PCI Express Root Port #5 has a Maximum Link Width of 4x. So 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes on PCI Express Root Port #5 would definitely handle an M.2 NVMe SSD at full speed.

Ad33b

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
if you are replacing the nvme drive, use the pcie slot, if adding another m.2 use a sata m.2 for sure and use the appropriate slot. if you could provide the EXACT model number, maybe we could find out for sure instead of guessing, what you gave us up top just brings up the ones that say pcie, the specs are wanting.
Can you tell me What model number you want exactly? ,And i'll try to provide it.

Ad33b

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
The Samsung SSD PM871 MZNLN512HCJH that came with your laptop is definitely an M.2 SATA III SSD.

In your HWiNFO image it shows that PCI Express Root Port #5 has a Maximum Link Width of 4x. So 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes on PCI Express Root Port #5 would definitely handle an M.2 NVMe SSD at full speed.
Well if it can handle it that's one problem solved ,Now i don't know if the bios will recognize the SSD in the first boot up because in the Acer website they don't mention NVMe support for this laptop model it just says PCIe SSD.