[SOLVED] Nvme ssd not matching the supposed speeds of the drive.

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I just got a brand new ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro, and after testing the Nvme SSD, i found out its a bit slower than what they advertise/what is shown in reviews. They advertise read speeds up to 3500Mb/s and write 3000Mb/s.
The speeds from crystal mark are shown here:
dtm2aE6.png

Here are the results of another reviewer:
vzx8kGp.png

Now, i did just also build the entire pc, so the problem could be anywhere else (like inserting it into the wrong slot), but i can't seem to find anything else. I've also read the articles about adata potentially swaping their controllers, and thought maybe that was the problem.
I would appreciate any pointers as to what's going on here. Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so after some research I finally found the solution

Solution: Adata swapped the controller without changing the model#\Sku. Essentially this means that this SSD is a slower drive than what it was last year under the same sku. So the reason we are all getting these similar speed test results is because that is how fast the drive goes now. Youll notice all reviews and benchmarks with the good speeds are prior to fall 2020. before the controller change.
Adive: Return this drive and buy a different brand. Very disappointed in Adata for doing this and cant believe its even legal

You can read about this change and benchmarks here https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts

Please note that...

USAFRet

Titan
I see. Would moving it to the higher M.2 slot solve my problem? Cause i read that all of them are PCIe 4.0

• 1 x M.2 connector (M2A_CPU), integrated in the CPU, supporting Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SSDs:
    • 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors support SATA and PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSDs
    • New Generation AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics processors support SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSDs

• 1 x M.2 connector (M2B_SB), integrated in the Chipset, supporting Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SSDs:
    - Supporting SATA and PCIe 3.0 x4/x2 SSDs
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/sp#sp

1 port is 4.0, 1 port is 3.0.

USAFRet

Titan
But your S11 Pro is only 3.0 x4

So it doesn't matter. Either port will give full performance to that drive.

In your first post, you and the "other reviewer" are using different versions of CrystalDiskMark. Comparing apples and oranges.
Those differing results cannot be compared.

Reactions: TheToolofLight

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
But your S11 Pro is only 3.0 x4

So it doesn't matter. Either port will give full performance to that drive.

In your first post, you and the "other reviewer" are using different versions of CrystalDiskMark. Comparing apples and oranges.
Those differing results cannot be compared.

Alright, good stuff. Thank you for the information. I guess that my drive is working well enough either way, just didn't want to get scammed with Adata's controller swap last minute.
Will maybe try to find some version of CrystalMark as a last effort, see if it changes things.

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Just for some closure, I've attached the results I've gotten from the same version of CrystalMark. It's still slower by 500-1000 MB/s, but if the drive isn't PCIe 4.0 compatible, then i wouldn't know the reason as to why.
pxzUkqe.png

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Being the C drive can have an impact.
And benchmarks need to be done with as little else running as possible.
I did close down everything, even the browser, so it wouldn't be an issue.
Maybe it is the C drive, but at this point, your guess is as good as mine. Either way, I suppose its going to have to be good enough for now.

Dec 30, 2020
Greetings to you all.
Built a new rig, nearly after 10 years, based on a Gigabyte AORUS PRO AC, Ryzen 3900X, and put a XPG GAMMIX S11 on the second M2 slot (the first one is occupied by the Gen4 Aorus 1TB ssd).
Although the Aorus ssd gives 5000MBs on CrystalDiskMark (as advertised) the XPG GAMMIX S11 gives similar values to what @TheToolofLight presented (2429 R/2134 W). I have the latest MoBo Bios 11p and can't figure out what is wrong. I've searched the BIOS but nothing seems relevant. My drive has the "good old" and supposedly fast, Silicon Motion SM2262EN controller.
What gives? Is there a tweaking I'm missing?

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Why was this thread marked as solved? I don't see a solution. I just bought this drive and am getting nearly the same identical results as OP. Not sure whats going on.
It was "resolved" because I thought it was gen 3 issue. Its not. And its not resolved. If you post a problem and/or find a solution, then please let me know aswell.

Jan 22, 2021

Solution: Adata swapped the controller without changing the model#\Sku. Essentially this means that this SSD is a slower drive than what it was last year under the same sku. So the reason we are all getting these similar speed test results is because that is how fast the drive goes now. Youll notice all reviews and benchmarks with the good speeds are prior to fall 2020. before the controller change.
Adive: Return this drive and buy a different brand. Very disappointed in Adata for doing this and cant believe its even legal

You can read about this change and benchmarks here https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata-and-other-ssd-makers-swapping-parts

Please note that while the article does mention the Adata SX8200 Pro, the ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro is the exact same drive except with a fancy red heatsink

Solution

TheToolofLight

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013

Please note that while the article does mention the Adata SX8200 Pro, the ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro is the exact same drive except with a fancy red heatsink
I contacted ADATA directly and they said I have a "defective" drive and have told me I'm eligible for a warranty. Since this is my main drive, it will be a pain to change it. This whole situation is so bad.

Dec 30, 2020
I contacted ADATA directly and they said I have a "defective" drive and have told me I'm eligible for a warranty. Since this is my main drive, it will be a pain to change it. This whole situation is so bad.

You are lucky. Their response to me was

"Our test data is based on Empty computer. the systerm in SSD will influence the speed for reading and writing, the computer equipment and CPU may also affect the results.
The largest speed of S11pro 1TB is 3350 read / 2800 write. Yours should be normal."

Even though I've provided evidence that the X11 is the SECONDARY drive, not the Windows primary, and was tested with NO DATA at all and the Benchmarks were performed upon setting up the brand new system.

Greetings to you all.
Built a new rig, nearly after 10 years, based on a Gigabyte AORUS PRO AC, Ryzen 3900X, and put a XPG GAMMIX S11 on the second M2 slot (the first one is occupied by the Gen4 Aorus 1TB ssd).

Many B550 models have one M.2 slot that is PCI-e 4.0 capable, and the other limited to PCI-e 3.0 connectivity...per the below description on your mainboard, this applies, do not expect any speeds above 3000-3500 MB/sec, best case, in the 2nd M.2 NVME slot, no matter what drive is installed.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AC-rev-1x#kf

Dec 30, 2020
Many B550 models have one M.2 slot that is PCI-e 4.0 capable, and the other limited to PCI-e 3.0 connectivity...per the below description on your mainboard, this applies, do not expect any speeds above 3000-3500 MB/sec, best case, in the 2nd M.2 NVME slot, no matter what drive is installed.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-PRO-AC-rev-1x#kf

The drive's specifications are Gen3X4 and NOT Gen4X4
The slot it is placed is Gen3X4
No bottleneck here.