Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
We are only getting Oblivion on the 4th of April (to me that's whats spreading counterfit software) and so I'm really eager to hear your findings on Oblivion... Hows the graphics, performance etc....

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Should we start this as the official thread for Oblivion preformance?
I get my copy in two days. I could always ask my friend to post results on
his machine. As he got his copy at 7:30pm last night.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Just picked up mine 10 minutes ago!

I'll let you guys know how it works on the X1800 tonight...
Beat you to it, though; I got mine just after noon EST, almost an hour before you did.

Of course, I've got an X800-series card, not an X1800-series card, so...

I'll still post the results (hopefuly) tomorrow. Gah. I'm on campus, in between classes, with my copy of the game in my backpack. Already rifled through its contents, (a little more dissapointing than Morrowind's, thanks to no jewel case, and an instruction book of thinner paper) so I'm just waiting out the day's classes and homework impatiently.

trenchtoaster

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Oh sorry I didnt notice this topic. I was wondering what you guys would suggest to be able to play oblivion decently (not lowest resolution with all the sliders down). My Geforce FX 5500 wont run the game at all.

AMD 2000+
Western Digital 80g Hardrive (brand new)
1280 corsair ram
Geforce FX 5500

My motherboard doesnt support PCI express, and I really cant afford to upgrade everything right now. I am hoping the video card you guys suggest will be able to play Vanguard when it comes out so I wont have to upgrade again for another year or so when I get a new motherboard and processor.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
try getting a 6800 gs agp or an x850 ... or even an x800 GTO if they make an agp version, I think they do ...

This should get you by for another year for 200 dollars or less, hit newegg or zipzoomfly they are pretty close at offering the best prices around :p

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Brent jumped in and added the link stating NV Oblivion drivers due out tomorrow. So who knows if that was a clue based off his testing.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1033747&page=1&pp=20

Does anyone else find that kind of... odd... for a professional review site? Nest thing we know Tomshardware will preface all posts by, "ATI will have new drivers out" and so on. I am actually surprised Oblivion did not ship with new drivers seeing as they are a TWIWMTBP partner. At least this time we should get the drivers they test with--I think we are all tired of the, "We are using experimental drivers" that never reach consumers.

I wonder if any of the review sites will spend a bit of time dealing with IQ issues?

pauldh

Illustrious
Unlike Toms, the big boy reviewers frequent the [H] and B3D forums. We used to see Lars pop in here at times which was nice. I like seeing them take the time to join discussions with us little folk.

ANyway, It was in response to someone comparing his own X1900XTX to a 7900GTX super clock. Who knows if it was just helpful advice, a hint that things will change, or something else. I wouldn't read into it too much. I'm just posting for fun due to lack of real info.

I have a feeling finding 'equal settings' is going to be an issue, and making a demo path as well.

The radiant AI alone is bound to F' things up if you can't disable it for benchmarking.

Anywhoo, I'm outta here. Gonna go find out for myself. 8)

xChaoSx

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Oh sorry I didnt notice this topic. I was wondering what you guys would suggest to be able to play oblivion decently (not lowest resolution with all the sliders down). My Geforce FX 5500 wont run the game at all.

AMD 2000+
Western Digital 80g Hardrive (brand new)
1280 corsair ram
Geforce FX 5500

I dont think your cpu can handle the game. But to find out for yourself go to: www.srtest.com/

and select The Elder Scrolls Oblivion and see if you meet any of the other requirments minus the gpu.

woodwork

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Ok, I got the game and it seems really cool so far. It is also very user friendly. The graphics seem to be very nice but prob would look better if I had another card. I am getting 15-35 frames per second in open field areas. I am running at ultra quality with hdr at 1280 x 1024 with vertical sync on. I am using a 7800 gt. It looks pretty well but I can see the little rigid edges and it gets on my nerves. I would like it to be smoother and fluid looking. Anyone have it running smooth with no edges and running fluid? Anyway from my 3 hours of playing it seems like a very good game.

chief5286

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Woodwork,
If the jaggies are bothering you, turn on AA and turn of HDR. I was noticing that they were pretty bad myself, especially on faces, until I turned on 2xAA. That helped a lot. I think the game looks pretty amazing without the HDR, but I also haven't tried it with HDR on yet.

woodwork

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Thanks.. Its funny you mentioned that cause I was trying 4xaa and the rigid edges are gone. I dont really know all the technical crap behind these different methods but on this game as far as the rigid edges the 4xaa looks better to me. Maybe someone here could explain the difference between these two things. Its mostly on the models where I notice the edges using hdr. Anyone else notice this?

StingWvU

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
With x1900xt and amd 64 3400+ 2.4ghz socket 754, only 1 gig of ram. Based on FRAPS Im getting 80- 120+ inside houses and dungeons, 29- 60 outside. Towns seem to hurt my frame rate more then open areas, in parts of the imperial city is where i saw drop to 29. Night time runs smoother. Setting are 1280*1024. All settings are as high as they go: tree actor item and object fade; all distance settings; shadows exterior and int.; specular distance; all water effects all on and details high. The only settings i don't have as high as they will go is Shadow filtering (low) ihavent tried higher; and self shadows are off. Self shadows are not working right on my rig, peoples faces have messed up shadows on them, and my horse looks like a zebra. Im playing with HDR and i have high quality 16X AF enabled in the catalyst control panel.

cleeve

Illustrious
Update:

Unfortunately, I had alot of work to do last night (actually I'm pretty busy for the next month) so I didn't have time to properly spend with oblivion, but I can give you my first impressions:

THIS GAME ROCKS.

I spent 15 minutes making a character, and the remaining 15 minutes I had staring in awe at the amazing graphics, detail, and minutia of the game world.

I never even got outside of the dungeon yet, but the framerate with my X1800 was SPECTACULAR. Smooth as silk... I was really surprised by that. But as detailed as the interiors are, this means nothing until I step outside and see how the system deals with the crazy amount of outdoor detail.

Still, I'm really wowed by this game.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
OMG WHERE ARE ALL THE SCREENSHOTS PEOPLE!
Hurry!

So, that srtest thing says my computer can run Oblivian, WITH my Fx5200 installed! HA HA HA!

So, tomorrow, when I *finally* get my x800GTO, do you guys think this game will be playable, or look crappy?

Here are my stats:

Sempron 3100+
1280 MBS DDR Ram
**X800GTO AGP 256MB**
160 gig HD

bloodstorm69

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
i have no idea what my framrate is, but it runs silky smooth at 1440x900 widescreen =) with all the goodness turned up HDR the whole bit, i'm running a 7900 gt, opteron 144 at 2.6 ghz and 1 gig of corsair cas 2 ram. i played the game for about 6 hours yesterday and it is just amazing! i joned the guild of death last night and i have been having fun assasinating people like crazy, as soon as i get home from work i will post a couple of my screenshots.

delanooch

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Game runs nicely on my system, I knew it would lol, the detail and the textures in this game are VERY nice. This game is straight up eye candy!

I had no luck picking up a copy at EBGames in the Seattle area because thier shipment got mis-routed so I tried the Bellevue area and they only had pre-order copies left , the extras had sold out before I got out of work :( so I downloaded it with D2D lol, finished downloading at 1 am, was playing by 1:30

sweet game, was getting between 29- 80+ FPS never made it out of the sewer, caves were fun then looked like dungeon, guess you hit the sewers next? Will find out tonight, resolution was at 1920 x 1200.

TRENDING THREADS