Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello all,

Up until Sunday, 11/12, my mic (AT2020) in OBS has been working fine, even with the filters I have set on it.
I use a compressor filter at default settings for balanced audio, a limiter filter to keep it from peaking, and a noise gate filter which I have to use for I live in a small apartment.
The problem that had started on Sunday is that the mic will all of the sudden not pick up my voice unless my mouth is right next to it, as if the noise gate got reconfigured, which it did not.
When I disable the noise gate, it works fine. When I restart my computer and try again with the noise gate filter on, it works fine, but the issue will come back within 10 or 15 minutes.

Nothing about my mic, obs or system has changed. I tried updating obs, restarting obs, unplugging and replugging the mic, but the issue persists.

Thank you.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
When I disable the noise gate, it works fine.
Perhaps tweak noise gate parameters?
Guide/info: https://obsproject.com/kb/noise-gate-filter

If given nothing has changed software wise (including no Win updates), then i'd look towards mic itself. It is possible that mic has degraded over time, hence why noise gate is applied so severely. Testing with 2nd, known to work mic, would show if it's mic (hardware) issue.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Perhaps tweak noise gate parameters?
Guide/info: https://obsproject.com/kb/noise-gate-filter

If given nothing has changed software wise (including no Win updates), then i'd look towards mic itself. It is possible that mic has degraded over time, hence why noise gate is applied so severely. Testing with 2nd, known to work mic, would show if it's mic (hardware) issue.

Tweaking the noise gate filter parameters wouldn't be a fix, it would just be a temporary workaround that will require tweaking every single time it decides to not work, which is not always known when it happens.

I also don't think the mic is degrading. Not only is it fairly new, but it works just fine with the filter disabled, as previously said.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but it works just fine with the filter disabled, as previously said.
Well, in this case, either stop using the noise gate filter all together (since it fixes your issue), or contact OBS for in-depth troubleshooting. Since after all, they made the software.

I also don't think the mic is degrading. Not only is it fairly new
Can you tell me a reason why hardware comes with a warranty when bought brand new? :unsure:

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Well, in this case, either stop using the noise gate filter all together (since it fixes your issue), or contact OBS for in-depth troubleshooting. Since after all, they made the software.

Can you tell me a reason why hardware comes with a warranty when bought brand new? :unsure:

Didn't think obs would have tech support, I will try them.
As for your second quote, I really don't think its the hardware. Thank you for your help though.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Every reputable company has customer support. In OBS case, they have discord and forums,
link: https://obsproject.com/help

Without you actually testing with 2nd, known to work, mic, you can't confirm it. Also, hardware can fail at any given moment, often without any apparent reason.

The hardware isn't failing. I had already stated it works absolutely fine without the filters that I need.

As for the support, there doesn't seem to be an actual support team with a human I can speak to, as expected.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Testing *everything* is a valid troubleshooting step.

If you insist on gatekeeping advice that volunteers provide you with their free time, you may find another type of gatekeeping on this thread. If someone tells you something you don't want to hear, ignore it, don't snap at them.

Reactions: Aeacus

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Testing *everything* is a valid troubleshooting step.

If you insist on gatekeeping advice that volunteers provide you with their free time, you may find another type of gatekeeping on this thread. If someone tells you something you don't want to hear, ignore it, don't snap at them.

No reason to test/replace hardware that works properly. Not gatekeeping, just common sense and not wasting time/money.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
No reason to test/replace hardware that works properly. Not gatekeeping, just common sense and not wasting time/money.
Your call. But without actually testing with 2nd mic, you can not definitively state that the mic works fine. As i suspected in my initial reply:
It is possible that mic has degraded over time, hence why noise gate is applied so severely.
Whereby, remove noise gate filter, mic works fine. Apply noise gate filter and you have to shout for mic to pick up anything. Since this symptom wasn't place from the day you got the mic, but instead developed at later date, something changed. Now, you're adamant that software wise, there wasn't any changes. If so, that only leaves hardware issue (mic itself). But that you're not willing to test. I guess you're not at your wit's end, as you claim to be.

In the end, we can not help if one doesn't want to be helped.
And this is where i end it.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Your call. But without actually testing with 2nd mic, you can not definitively state that the mic works fine. As i suspected in my initial reply:

Whereby, remove noise gate filter, mic works fine. Apply noise gate filter and you have to shout for mic to pick up anything. Since this symptom wasn't place from the day you got the mic, but instead developed at later date, something changed. Now, you're adamant that software wise, there wasn't any changes. If so, that only leaves hardware issue (mic itself). But that you're not willing to test. I guess you're not at your wit's end, as you claim to be.

In the end, we can not help if one doesn't want to be helped.
And this is where i end it.

Stop posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.