nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
i broke the fan on the gpu.
i have old (broken) psu, it has removable 2pin fan about 80mm but im not shure it might be 120 as well. At the back it says 12V, but it doesnt say the amps. my gpu's fan specs: 12V 0.15A.
is it safe to plug that fan on the gpu 2pin header?
the header on the motherboard is 3pin so i won't be able to control the speed...
maybe a different way to hook it up (biying case fan is also option but i would be happier re using this one) and be able to control the fan speed?

Without knowing the current rating of the PSU fan.....it may cause a problem if the current rating is too high.

Like....let's say it's .5 amps. That may be too much for the GPU to supply......or it may not be.....without knowing the GPU spec for the power to that fan....it's impossible to say.

nenadilievski72

Commendable
Mar 5, 2018
Without knowing the current rating of the PSU fan.....it may cause a problem if the current rating is too high.

Like....let's say it's .5 amps. That may be too much for the GPU to supply......or it may not be.....without knowing the GPU spec for the power to that fan....it's impossible to say.
... im not shure how to check either of them. the gpu is msi gtx 650 1gb (mini version) and the power supply... errr... its Chinese shitbox...

im not shure how to check either of them...
the gpu is msi gtx 650 1gb and the psu... err... its chinese shitbox whit mo info anywhere....
what else do i do? i dont want to order a new cooler than wait 3months to get shipped...

If you have a current meter and know how to use it....or know someone that does....you can check the current on the fan in question.

I would only feel comfortable replacing that fan with a fan with a current rating equal to or less than the fan that's in there.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ebay. Look up the gpu you have. Can buy replacement fans pretty cheap. Worst case contact the gpu vendor, buy replacement fan from them. Any other fan runs the risk of anything from burning out the fan circuitry to frying the gpu totally. The cost of a new fan is extremely cheap compared to replacing the entire gpu.