[SOLVED] Old Toshiba TV with VGA - can I use as monitor?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I'm certain I've asked this before but searching through my content I can't see it anywhere so I'll try again!

I've got an old Toshiba 20WLT56B TV which I occasionally use for playing PS3. The inputs are 2x Scart, Component, S-video and a PC-RGB (VGA) input.

I want to use it as a monitor, but whatever I connect it to, it says 'out of range'. From research it looks like it can only handle up to a 50Hz refresh rate, but even my old 2008 HP outputs at 60hz plus so I'm wondering what VGA devices would have actually ever been able to connect to it.

Is there any way I coulduse it as a monitor? Can you get adaptors etc that would convert or allow it to work?
Cheers

Solution
I'm certain I've asked this before but searching through my content I can't see it anywhere so I'll try again!

I've got an old Toshiba 20WLT56B TV which I occasionally use for playing PS3. The inputs are 2x Scart, Component, S-video and a PC-RGB (VGA) input.

I want to use it as a monitor, but whatever I connect it to, it says 'out of range'. From research it looks like it can only handle up to a 50Hz refresh rate, but even my old 2008 HP outputs at 60hz plus so I'm wondering what VGA devices would have actually ever been able to connect to it.

Is there any way I coulduse it as a monitor? Can you get adaptors etc that would convert or allow it to work?
Cheers

Out of Range also means that the resolution your desktop is at, is...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Cheers

Out of Range also means that the resolution your desktop is at, is higher than what the TV can display and so cannot display the image. Your TV has a native resolution of 1366x768. (720p) Lower your desktop to that & try it.

Reactions: UserBob2 and al92
Solution

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! So I managed to get it working by scaling down the resolution to 1024768... for some reason my computer doesn't offer 1366768 (But I've started a new thread for that).

Thanks for your help!