[SOLVED] One sensor on my cpu cooler is faulty?

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
I have ryzen 5 1600x and a prism cooler. I went to the bios to change my cooler speeds manualy. In the bios I saw that the cpu was at 70degrees which cant be real honestly so I opened HW monitor and like every sensor on the cpu showed 30-40 degrees and one sensor showed 90 degrees at idle and my fan ramps up because of that and still it stays at 90 even having the fan at full speed. The thermal paste is new myb 2 weeks old.

Last edited:
Solution
Yea I gave less info then needed.
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asrock B450 Steel legends
Asus Gtx 1070 turbo
2x8 3200 CL16 Corsair vengeance
750W Forza 80+ gold
4 Fans in the case, 3 intake

Went to the bios put the fan curve on the preset normal and performance and it was the same literally 100rpm difference and the fan was on idle 2800rpm ramping to 3000rpm when I open literally anything. Reinstalled HW monitor. Installed HW info and its the same. I just booted the pc and all cores are 20-35 and 5th is like 65+ on idle now and its just going up for no reason while I am literally on chrome with one tab. I mean its okay if its going but the fan is ramping up with it with no effect. The only problem can maybe be the thermal paste. Maybe I put too...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Go into BIOS and double check your manually set cooler speeds.

Consider reinstalling HW Monitor just to exclude some bug or file corruption.

Your post ends with "The thermal paste is new myb 2 weeks. I "

Something mistyped or left out. Edit to correct.

niko99398

Prominent
May 7, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Go into BIOS and double check your manually set cooler speeds.

Consider reinstalling HW Monitor just to exclude some bug or file corruption.

Your post ends with "The thermal paste is new myb 2 weeks. I "

Something mistyped or left out. Edit to correct.
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asus Gtx 1070 turbo
750W Forza 80+ gold

Went to the bios put the fan curve on the preset normal and performance and it was the same literally 100rpm difference and the fan was on idle 2800rpm ramping to 3000rpm when I open literally anything. Reinstalled HW monitor. Installed HW info and its the same. I just booted the pc and all cores are 20-35 and 5th is like 65+ on idle now and its just going up for no reason while I am literally on chrome with one tab. I mean its okay if its going but the fan is ramping up with it with no effect. The only problem can maybe be the thermal paste. Maybe I put too little on one side or too much

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about how meaningful a difference of 100 RPM may be - likely within some margin of error/accuracy.

As for the thermal paste that should be conducting heat away from the entire CPU. Why a specific core would be "left out" I do not know.

The temperatures and fan behavior certainly indicate that something is astray.

First double check all physical installations and connections. Then carefully double check all related configuration settings.

If you do not find any issues then re-applying the thermal paste would be the next step. Do so very carefully and follow the instructions. Take your time.

Determine if the problem continues and, if so, then RMA the CPU.

In the meantime, someone else following this thread may offer other ideas and suggestions. I have no problem with that.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Ryzen 5 1600x
Asus Gtx 1070 turbo
750W Forza 80+ gold

Went to the bios put the fan curve on the preset normal and performance and it was the same literally 100rpm difference and the fan was on idle 2800rpm ramping to 3000rpm when I open literally anything. Reinstalled HW monitor. Installed HW info and its the same. I just booted the pc and all cores are 20-35 and 5th is like 65+ on idle now and its just going up for no reason while I am literally on chrome with one tab. I mean its okay if its going but the fan is ramping up with it with no effect. The only problem can maybe be the thermal paste. Maybe I put too little on one side or too much

Could be a botched thermal paste application, uneven coverage on a tiny area that just so happens to be near core #5. I'd say Ryzen's ramping up and down in temps is normal, but usually on different cores for lightly threaded work (i.e. not consistently on a single core and only that core).

Bit unrelated, but I'd suggest using HwInfo64 instead. It's a better monitoring software for Zens.

Solution