Question Opinion: Server case fans

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
I have a server running two arrays, 8 hard drives. The back plane is cooled by 4 80mm Antec fans which aren't new. I've noticed heat on the drive enclosures. Its nothing critical and my server rooms air temp is much cooler than my office air temp but I figure while i have it off the rack and on my bench this would be a good time to upgrade.

I have on hand one new Noctua NF-A8PWM, but when I plug it in it output feel less than the Antec fan, which isn't new.

Does anyone have an solid recommendations for good 80mm fans for a server case with a lit of heat potential.

Side note: I already have two Noctua 60mm fans on the back of the case, two 80mm GDStime fans cooling my raid controller on a slot card, and my Supermicro CPU fan.

Thanks in advance

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
The reason the server was pulled was due to a hard drive that failed. There was no obvious cause and the drives were less than a year old, so I assumed defect (free replacement). While that aspect of it is resolved I can see no fault in any of the hardware (fans included). That said, the heat above the stacked hard drives, while not excessive, is a concern. While I have the server pulled I'm thinking it is better to err on the side of caution (inexpensively) and replace the back plane fans with something that moves more air.

AJAshinoff

Reputable
Feb 18, 2019
It would require disassembly, the raid controller and SATA wires run through the fan wall. I looked at the fan card cooling my Raid controller, it uses dual GDSTime brushless fans and does a very good job. I ordered a handful and they should be here Thursday.
I'll have to disassemble to put in the new fans and I'll make note of the model of the old ones and post them here. Should the GDSTime fans work well the info could help others with the same question. Thanks