Question [OPINIONS] How long (years) will last 3080 TI in high settings, quality games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2021
[OPINIONS] How long (years) will last 3080 TI in high settings, quality games?

Would it be dating as good as for example 1080 TI which even 5 years later, still gives high-ultra settings play-ability? or it will be otherwise?
whats your unbiased thoughts?

Thanks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
IMO:
It will not age as well as the 1080Ti did. Nvidia learned from that 'mistake'... they're not going to make a repeat of it again that soon.
Got mine when it launched in Apr 2017 and it still delivers satisfactory performance for me.

I could give the 3080Ti the usual 'good enough to skip a gen', but really, it depends on you, the other guy, that other guy, and so on...
The alternative is just speculation, but again, Nvidia isn't going to have a repeat the 1080Ti so soon.

Reactions: dotas1 and RodroX
If I get a ticket, Will a win the lottery next time? A questioin as hard to answer, as the one OP is doing.

We have some "issues" going on right now (just a few of them):

1. A chip shortage that and no one really knows when is going to end.
  2. New consoles, PS5 and XBOX Series X, with new hardware.
  3. Games developers that had to learn to work virtually, and thus increase the development time, and sometimes launch not finished games.
  4. New GPUs, and "new" and not soo "new" tech (Ray Tracing, DLSS, FSR).
  5. That same new tech (DLSS and FSR) that is close to garbage for 1080p, unless you don't mind playing games with crappy visuals.

So: How long will a GPU last and how well will it play games? Who knows?

Aug 5, 2021
Well, here is the thing, I bought 6700 XT for $1000 and I didnt like how it does in Cyberpunk and RT so week later I sold it for loss ($200 loss), and I got an offer from a local vendor to get 3080 TI Palit, for $1460 he has one left in stock and offered it for me at "distribution" price, so tomorrow I am planning on getting it. I could get 3070 for $940, but I think 3080 TI will give much more experience in its lifespan and whenever I decide sell, will be more chance to sell it at reasonable rate. This card per benchmarks is only 2-5 FPS down from 3090 which cost much more.

Aug 5, 2021
But if you want 120fps that’s very different to someone who wants 60fps. The point is some may be happy with a 1080Ti today, others may not and there perspective on how it has aged could be very different.

Well in 2-3 gens away (4-5 years?) if 3080 TI will give anything above 60-90 FPS its still very decent longevity of a return in FULLHD/2K resolution.

Aug 5, 2021
Well, here is the thing, I bought 6700 XT for $1000 and I didnt like how it does in Cyberpunk and RT so week later I sold it for loss ($200 loss), and I got an offer from a local vendor to get 3080 TI Palit, for $1460 he has one left in stock and offered it for me at "distribution" price, so tomorrow I am planning on getting it. I could get 3070 for $940, but I think 3080 TI will give much more experience in its lifespan and whenever I decide sell, will be more chance to sell it at reasonable rate. This card per benchmarks is only 2-5 FPS down from 3090 which cost much more.

Guys thoughts on this input of mine ? ^^

I played CBP 2077 with and without RT, and with and without DLSS, the game was usually around 60 FPS (1440p with some settings dialed down). After a few weeks I deleted CBP 2077.

Visuals were really awesome, the rest nothing new. I got bored. My bro got bored too and he deleted his copy too.

The RTX 3080 TI is seems to be an amazing card performance wise. I can't talk about price cause they are a mess all around the world.

If you get it brand new, with warranty, and you have the cash to spend on it, then why not.

Keep in mind that as soon as prices go back to "normal" (if they ever do), then used sell price will go down too.

Aug 5, 2021
I played CBP 2077 with and without RT, and with and without DLSS, the game was usually around 60 FPS (1440p with some settings dialed down). After a few weeks I deleted CBP 2077.

Visuals were really awesome, the rest nothing new. I got bored. My bro got bored too and he deleted his copy too.

The RTX 3080 TI is seems to be an amazing card performance wise. I can't talk about price cause they are a mess all around the world.

If you get it brand new, with warranty, and you have the cash to spend on it, then why not.

Keep in mind that as soon as prices go back to "normal" (if they ever do), then used sell price will go down too.

I tell you, originally I collected $1000 and planned it for a major, important upgrade. Then, I had a chance (week ago) get 6700XT for $1000, considering its hard to find those now days and price is "OK" in compared to what its being sold at now days, I grabbed it and considered it "the major upgrade". Then, I realized, a game I so want to play (CP) is exactly one game that doesnt run well on this card, unstable and RT is awful (At least in current optimization of this game), I felt bit furious, rushed to sell it for $200 less than I bought it. Now I've $800 out of $1000 I had originally for the major upgrade. But then I got a call from a friend, he own computer service / shop here, in the city, he said "Listen up, I have Palit 3080 TI, one last in stock, full warranty, sealed brand new, I can give it to you at the price I paid for it $1460" so I thought, Yes - I gonna go above my original budget here, and squeeze additional funds for it, but same time, comparing it to 3070 @ $950 or 3060 TI @ $780, I get here 50% extra raw performance vs 3070 at $450 extra, it means, 2-3 gens I wont need consider an upgrade, it also means if I decide sell my PC/parts anytime in 2-3 years, this card will still (PROBABLY) have a certain reasonable market value, it also means as long as I use this card, I will have full blown experience, and it COULD POSSIBLY give a good experience for 3-5 years? so... I think 3080 TI worth the extra buck that I squeeze for this purpose.

My current specs:
Ryzen 3600
16GB 3200
ASUS X470F
750W PSU (Antec HCG750, Red, bronze)

Thoughts?

I tell you, originally I collected $1000 and planned it for a major, important upgrade. Then, I had a chance (week ago) get 6700XT for $1000, considering its hard to find those now days and price is "OK" in compared to what its being sold at now days, I grabbed it and considered it "the major upgrade". Then, I realized, a game I so want to play (CP) is exactly one game that doesnt run well on this card, unstable and RT is awful (At least in current optimization of this game), I felt bit furious, rushed to sell it for $200 less than I bought it. Now I've $800 out of $1000 I had originally for the major upgrade. But then I got a call from a friend, he own computer service / shop here, in the city, he said "Listen up, I have Palit 3080 TI, one last in stock, full warranty, sealed brand new, I can give it to you at the price I paid for it $1460" so I thought, Yes - I gonna go above my original budget here, and squeeze additional funds for it, but same time, comparing it to 3070 @ $950 or 3060 TI @ $780, I get here 50% extra raw performance vs 3070 at $450 extra, it means, 2-3 gens I wont need consider an upgrade, it also means if I decide sell my PC/parts anytime in 2-3 years, this card will still (PROBABLY) have a certain reasonable market value, it also means as long as I use this card, I will have full blown experience, and it COULD POSSIBLY give a good experience for 3-5 years? so... I think 3080 TI worth the extra buck that I squeeze for this purpose.

My current specs:
Ryzen 3600
16GB 3200
ASUS X470F
750W PSU (Antec HCG750, Red, bronze)

Thoughts?

The main problem I see, your 6700XT was a bit on the edge of what your 750 watts psu could handle.

The RTX 3080 TI, in my humble opinion, will be way over of what I would plug to your current PSU. But hey thats just me.

Aug 5, 2021
The main problem I see, your 6700XT was a bit on the edge of what your 750 watts psu could handle.

The RTX 3080 TI, in my humble opinion, will be way over of what I would plug to your current PSU. But hey thats just me.

I suspected same, CP had issues when tested on 1300W and 800W PSUs, although less fragile CP experience, but still ended up with the same issue just lasted bit longer.
Any other game 6700XT handled just fine, no crashes on my PSU.

I suspected same, CP had issues when tested on 1300W and 800W PSUs, although less fragile CP experience, but still ended up with the same issue just lasted bit longer.
Any other game 6700XT handled just fine, no crashes on my PSU.

Far as I know RX 6700 XT have an average 650 watts PSU requirement (that may vary from brand to brand). I would always use a bigger PSU of decent brand and model, for example a 750 watts unit.

The RTX 3080TI have an average 750 watts PSU requirement, in this case I would have at least a 850 watts unit of decent brand and model.

I can't say for sure how your PSU would handle the 3080ti, maybe it will be enough, Who knows?.

Aug 5, 2021
Far as I know RX 6700 XT have an average 650 watts PSU requirement (that may vary from brand to brand). I would always use a bigger PSU of decent brand and model, for example a 750 watts unit.

The RTX 3080TI have an average 750 watts PSU requirement, in this case I would have at least a 850 watts unit of decent brand and model.

I can't say for sure how your PSU would handle the 3080ti, maybe it will be enough, Who knows?.

Well if we "agree" that from the options I have, 3070 TI is the better one go with, then sure, I will see how it works with my PSU, if it will be a problem, upgrade the PSU is way to go.

Re-pasting my earlier story:

Aug 5, 2021
Well if we "agree" that from the options I have, 3070 TI is the better one go with, then sure, I will see how it works with my PSU, if it will be a problem, upgrade the PSU is way to go.

Re-pasting my earlier story:

Btw from those PSUs, anything really good? for 3080 TI?

https://www.mymarket.ge/en/pr/19709886/Power-supplie/kvebis-bloki-Zalman-Power-supply-ZM1200-EBT1000W)-80Plus-Go

https://www.mymarket.ge/en/pr/20723864/Power-supplie/ROSEWILL-850-W-80+Bronze)

https://pcshop.ge/product/deepcool-850w-psu-gold/

https://www.mymarket.ge/en/pr/20714884/Power-supplie/Zalman-ZM800-EBTII-800W)-80-Plus-Gold-Full-Modular

Status
Not open for further replies.