[SOLVED] Orange and green light x570-pro error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Okay, so I recently upgraded my desktop's cpu and psu in prep to get a new gpu in the future. But after installing the new parts and plugging everything in, a ryzen 9 5900x and a seasonic 850watt titanium, I go to boot the computer up and I get a solid orange dram error light on my Asus X570-Pro motherboard. After about a minute, my screen turns on and shows the page to enter the bios, then freezes not allowing me to enter bios or do anything. I go back to check the lights, and now I see the bios light is solid green and the dram light is still solid orange.

I tried reseating my 4x16 ram sticks to no change, rearranging them even though they're all the same, I tried cleaning and reinstalling my cpu, I tried going back to the old psu, my old cpu's pins got damaged when I took it out because the fan had too tight a grip on it so I can't try putting it back until I reset those pins which will take a while, I know my ram is compatible as I've been using them on my rig for a few years now, I've double and triple checked the wiring and that everything is secured, and somehow now my computer won't even turn on? Or it turns on about 5 minutes after I pressed the power button with the same orange and green light on the motherboard?

I'm not sure what is going on here or why my pc won't even start anymore, so any input is appreciated.

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
What cpu were you using before? Did you update the motherboards BIOS for the 5900X?
I was using a Ryzen 5 3700X before. And I thought you were supposed to update the bios after installing, not before? So I haven't been able to update the bios yet since I can't get past the boot screen.

Reactions: kurdtnz
I was using a Ryzen 5 3700X before. And I thought you were supposed to update the bios after installing, not before? So I haven't been able to update the bios yet since I can't get past the boot screen.
No, you should update the BIOS before using the new cpu. Does your motherboard have the BIOS Flash feature? If not, you'll have to reinsert the old cpu then do the BIOS update before swapping them over.

Reactions: RJGray

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Then that would likely be my problem there. I'm pretty sure it does have the bios flash feature, though I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get the latest bios on a flash drive. And like I said, my old cpu got damaged upon removal because it stuck to the cpu fan I have, and it'll take me a while to readjust every pin to an upright position. So should I just go to the library and get the download on a flashdrive from there? Does the flashdrive need to be formatted beforehand? Or how should I go about this?

So if I can't fix the pins because two are laying down flat and two are missing, and it won't fit in the slot anymore, what do you recommend I do?
Unfortunately you will still need a previous gen cpu in order to update the BIOS. Do you have a local PC store near you that could do it for you? I believe AMD also had a option where you could 'loan' a previous gen cpu to update but the process can take a long time and Im not sure if they still offer it?

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
I'm not sure if there's any computer stores near me. I know there's a rent-a-center that might let me borrow a computer with an older chipset if they have one, though I don't exactly have $90 to borrow a computer for 30 minutes.

There's also Staples, but they almost certainly couldn't help me if there's no Flash Bios. But I'll give them a call just in case.

Do you know of an i5 Intel cpu will work on an am4 chipset? I have a spare one of those laying around, but since I've got a Ryzen rig I'm not sure.

Does the update have to happen for my mobo specifically?

Also, I'm not even sure how that loan process would work since I'm pretty sure AMD doesn't have any physical stores.

I'm not sure if there's any computer stores near me. I know there's a rent-a-center that might let me borrow a computer with an older chipset if they have one, though I don't exactly have $90 to borrow a computer for 30 minutes.

There's also Staples, but they almost certainly couldn't help me if there's no Flash Bios. But I'll give them a call just in case.

Do you know of an i5 Intel cpu will work on an am4 chipset? I have a spare one of those laying around, but since I've got a Ryzen rig I'm not sure.

Does the update have to happen for my mobo specifically?

Also, I'm not even sure how that loan process would work since I'm pretty sure AMD doesn't have any physical stores.
No, Intel and AM4 are totally incompatible. Its the motherboard that needs the update, most motherboards need a BIOS update when you jump up to next gen cpu's. You apply for the ''cpu loan'' online but Im not sure where you apply exactly? Ive had the same problem in the past so now I only buy motherboards with the BIOS Flash feature, it makes things so much easier.

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
No, Intel and AM4 are totally incompatible. Its the motherboard that needs the update, most motherboards need a BIOS update when you jump up to next gen cpu's. You apply for the ''cpu loan'' online but Im not sure where you apply exactly? Ive had the same problem in the past so now I only buy motherboards with the BIOS Flash feature, it makes things so much easier.

Okay, update. I called Asus to troubleshoot with them and they said that they'll give me a link and confirmation for AMD to send me a loaner boot kit. And I went through the process and finally got it today. But for some reason, they provided a Ryzen 3 3100 card instead of a match of the Ryzen 7 3700 card. But since they're both from the 3000 series, that should be okay bios-wise, right? Or since they're two generations apart, this time two gens older than my current bios, won't I have the same issues?

I also just installed it and tried powering it on, and it just stopped before I could see any lights on the Motherboard. Worse than the issue with the green and orange light. I'm waiting a bit with everything plugged in just in case it was because I had the psu unplugged for nearly 10 days now and it just needs to build up some charge, but I'm now concerned since I have meetings I need to run and I've had to cancel 3 of them already because of this issue.

Also, when I bought the board, I could have sworn it said it had Bios Flashback compatibility. So I don't know if it's simply no longer compatible or if it never was and I'm simply misremembering or if it was falsely advertised to by Amazon, but yeah. I don't buy motherboards often, but I usually check to see if it's got BIOS Flashing capabilities.

So I'm now concerned that if my pc doesn't turn on with this older loaner chip as to what I should do... Suggestions?

According to your motherboards support page, you at least need BIOS version 2606 to run the 5900X. The 3100 is a 3rd gen cpu so you should be able to do the BIOS update with it. Before you do, as you are having trouble to get your PC to display with it, have you tried clearing CMOS?

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
According to your motherboards support page, you at least need BIOS version 2606 to run the 5900X. The 3100 is a 3rd gen cpu so you should be able to do the BIOS update with it. Before you do, as you are having trouble to get your PC to display with it, have you tried clearing CMOS?

My trouble is getting the computer to start with the 3100. It appears to almost flat reject the older chip as it won't even try to start up, let alone give any error lights. My computer at least tries to start with the 5900x, but freezes on the bios splash screen.

How would I clear cmos? Is that something I'd do on a computer that can start?

RJGray

Prominent
May 14, 2020
Okay. Final update.

Turns out that, despite AMD's insistence that a Ryzen 3 3100 was compatible with my board, it simply was not.
Turns out that despite Asus's insistence that my board was faulty, it was not.
Turns out that the issue was indeed what we suspected all along, an un-updated bios.

Here's how I fixed it for anyone in future curious.
  1. I procured a new CPU from the same generation of chips as the one that was working prior. Specifically for me, a Ryzen 7 3700 cpu. I paid for a 3700x, but got a 3700 instead. Thankfully it still worked being from the same generation and series of chips and all. Had to pay $300 out of pocket since AMD refused to send a boot kit with the correct cpu my way, but I plan to return it since I no longer need it.
  2. I was finally able to download the update for my motherboard's bios from the motherboard's specific website.
  3. Use the renaming tool that comes with the update to rename it so that the bios system will recognise and accept it.
  4. Format a flashdrive for fat32 and copy said renamed update into the root folder with nothing else.
  5. Restart computer and go to bios > tools > Flash 3 Bios. Then select the renamed file and hit run.
  6. Wait for the update to finish, ensure that the computer starts and runs with the update.
  7. Turn computer off, install new cpu, in my case the Ryzen 9 5900x, and restart computer.
  8. Follow instructions, set bios back up to preferred settings, and run!

I hope this helps anyone in future with similar issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS