Overclocking and reducing voltage on RAM

kosaku30

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Hey Everyone.

I just recently built my first computer. And as you probably already guessed, i know almost nothing about overclocking. My specs are:

i7 930
asus p6t
CM Hyper 212+
6 Gb Corsair XMS 1600 (PC 12800)
1 Gb MSI gtx 460
antec three hundred case

Anyways, I noticed that my RAM voltage is at 1.65 and that 1.65 is the max it should be to protect my CPU and parts. I was wondering if my RAM needed to be at that voltage and if not, how would I reduce it? Currently, my BIOS is all set to Auto. Any recommendations for this? And I was also wondering if the RAM voltage could be related to the blue screen of death that I has occured twice while I play SC 2 since I built my computer about 2 weeks ago. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.

And, I was wondering if I could get numbers to input to have a very very mild overclock from 2.8 ghz to maybe 3.0 or 3.2 ghz. Again, I don't know what I am doing and so do not want to mess with anything without getting input first. Thanks =]

You can get away with 1.7V even 1.75V if the RAM has good heat spreaders, but 1.65V is kind of the max and the norm. If you have 1333mhz RAM it usually will be running at 1.5V, and then some sets will drop the latency by increasing the voltage to 1.65V. You shouldn't have any issues at 1.65V if you're at manufacturer recommended speed and latency

As for overclocking, since you're at step 0... the first step is to read guides. You'll want to familiarize yourself with general steps to take and also with your BIOS. Read first, fiddle later. Otherwise you might do something really dumb by complete accident and fry a part. Nobody wants that lol.

A good place to start reading: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-1156-core-overclocking-guide