Question Palit 3070 Gaming Pro OC black screen when I play games

Jordan_68

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
So, I just got a Palit 3070, Gaming pro OC variant, when I do normal PC use, its fine, works non stop, but when I boot up a game (Dayz in this case) my fan starts roaring, I play for a few min, small lag spike and screen goes black (monitor loses signal), cant hear the game anymore but I can hear my friends on discord and speak to them. Tried Display port and HDMI all off
Updated Geforce drivers through Geforce experience and disabled VT-D in bios.
GPU uses 2x 8pins, I have 2 seperate 8 pin cables run from my new 750w corsair power supply.
CPU is a i5-11400f with 16GB Ram I upgraded from a 1080 windforce which worked fine
I upgraded from a 1080 windforce which worked fine

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So the PC doesn't actually shut off; it's still on, but video signal drops because you wouldn't be able to communicate with your buddies otherwise.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller and update the driver again, but without Geforce Experience this time.

Power supply model name is missing.

Does the old 1080 still work ok?

Jordan_68

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
So the PC doesn't actually shut off; it's still on, but video signal drops because you wouldn't be able to communicate with your buddies otherwise.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller and update the driver again, but without Geforce Experience this time.

Power supply model name is missing.

Does the old 1080 still work ok?
PSU is a Corsair CX750M
1080 works perfectly. Interestingly, on the Palit GPU software I LOWERED the Clock offset by -200(m??)hz and it seems to have helped it. Didn’t get to test fully though

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PSU is a Corsair CX750M
1080 works perfectly. Interestingly, on the Palit GPU software I LOWERED the Clock offset by -200(m??)hz and it seems to have helped it. Didn’t get to test fully though
Huh. Bit weak for Ampere. Not referring to wattage, by the way; some folks were having Corsair RM-non-Xs crashing with 3080s, and those are supposed to be a couple tiers better than CXM.

Clock offset would've reduced the amount of power the card pulls.

Reactions: spentshells

Jordan_68

Honorable
Oct 8, 2016
Huh. Bit weak for Ampere. Not referring to wattage, by the way; some folks were having Corsair RM-non-Xs crashing with 3080s, and those are supposed to be a couple tiers better than CXM.

Clock offset would've reduced the amount of power the card pulls.
So do you think my card might be using too much power for the PSU?

So do you think my card might be using too much power for the PSU?
The problem with 3000 series are transient power spikes - very short (couple milliseconds) increase of power drawn by GPU. Normally 3070 draws up to about 225W. During spike it can hit 450W. To counter that you either use very high quality PSU that just can shake it off or a unit with very high nominal wattage. In theory 750W should be enough to cover that (with your CPU at least), but in practice it is not guaranteed.

Reactions: Phaaze88