[SOLVED] [PC] Audio problem/bug with speakers and headset

LordVasky

Commendable
Aug 10, 2019
Context:
  • Headset(HyperX Cloud Stinger Core) connected to the front panel(3.5mm jack, 1 Mic-In and 1 Headphone-Out) of the PC;
  • Speakers(Logitech Z333) connected to the back panel (3.5mm jack, Line-Out/Front Speaker Out);
  • Main Objective of all this: Be able to easly switch between Headphones (when i'm on Discord or basically just need a microphone) and Speakers (when i'm alone and don't need a microphone);

I have Windows 10 and it detects both devices on the taskbar sound menu as seen here, and when playing Spotify or Youtube everything works fine, when i change to "Speakers" it plays on the Speakers and when set to "Headphones" it plays on the Headset.

Problem:
The problem showed up on Discord when i was testing it with a friend to make sure everything worked and later another problem but in Arma 3.

I will now try to describe in "detail" each problem.

I assume that when the input and output devices are at the "Default" settings it'll change device acording to the selected "playback device"(from the taskbar menu), at least it seemed to work like that for me before.

Discord:
(Audio Device Settings - Default)

When set to "Speakers":

• The "join" and "leave a call" sounds and probably everything else play on the Speakers;
  • The voice from the people in the call still play on Headphones;
  • Microphone also works normally;

When set to "Headphones":
(Everything normal)

• Sounds when joining and leaving a call play on the Headphones;
  • Voice from people in call play on Headphones;

Arma 3:
(Audio Device Setting - Default)

When set to "Speakers":
(Everything normal)

• Game sounds on the Speakers;

When set to "Headphones":
(Doesn't change in-game audio output)

• Game sounds also on the Speakers;
  • Have to manually change sound output at the in-game settings;
  • [Note] Didn't test the microphone;
End Note:
Maybe this is normal behaviour and i'm just dumb but i just want to know if there's something i can do or if anyone else had this problem because it's still a very annoying problem.
Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers.

Solution
Programs outside of Windows can be stubborn with getting the default audio changes, especially if changed while they are already running. Zoom does this also, if I have a call going then plug in a headset after that, I need to change the audio manually in Zoom options.
It's "normal" and based on how the program is coded.
Programs outside of Windows can be stubborn with getting the default audio changes, especially if changed while they are already running. Zoom does this also, if I have a call going then plug in a headset after that, I need to change the audio manually in Zoom options.

Reactions: LordVasky
Solution

LordVasky

Commendable
Aug 10, 2019
That does make sense, also something else i noticed is that on the "Sound" window of the Control Panel my headphones show as "Default Communications Device" which i assume is why Discord only partially changes the sound output to the Speakers while keeping the voices and microphone on my Headset.