Mar 11, 2023
Hello everyone, so my friend with no experience in PC building asked me to build him a full PC setup for around 2000$.

I came up with most of those things from the top of my head. Just done some additional research for current prices.

But IMO, my knowledge is… let’s call it decent… So I do not want to mess smth up, since he is trusting me with a good chunk of money.

Can you tell me your opinion about this pc build? Any flaws? Something better or cheaper? Literally any sort of advice or recommendation. Thanks a lot ♥.

Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus 210$ Amazon ( My knowledge about MBs is outdated, there is probably smth better for the price? )

CPU: R7 5800X3D 318$ Amazon

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 Illusion 166$ Amazon

GPU: RX 6900XT 650$ Amazon

PSU: Gold Standard 750W around 100$ /Yet to decide

RAM: 2x 16gb 3200Mhz CL16 70-80$ /Yet to decide

Fans: Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 ARGB 3in1 + 1 80$ Amazon

SSD: SAMSUNG 990 PRO 1TB /s 120$ Amazon

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 50$ Amazon

Monitor: QHD OC to 170HZ 27In Response Time 0.5ms 250$ Amazon

Total: 2,024$ ( damn almost spot on O__o )

PC Case: he will decide ( If he can spit 2k on pc, he can give additional 100-150$ for the case ) But you can give some suggestions.

Solution
I'd do what I had to do to eliminate the HDD in favor of a second SSD.

Possibly by choosing something other than the Samsung 990 Pro. Cut back to something less expensive and spend the saved money on a second SSD.

Does that CPU require a liquid cooler?

Possibly by choosing something other than the Samsung 990 Pro. Cut back to something less expensive and spend the saved money on a second SSD.

Reactions: Psycho381
Solution
Mar 11, 2023

Good point.
No it does not require a liquid cooler, but he told me get the best possible parts for 2k, stable, cool. So additional cooling wont hurt.
Edit: what do you think about the overall price for this build?

Good point.
No it does not require a liquid cooler, but he told me get the best possible parts for 2k, stable, cool. So additional cooling wont hurt.
Edit: what do you think about the overall price for this build?

I guess liquid cooling when not required is a personal choice related to what "best" might mean. I have no idea where that specific liquid cooler ranks within its category.

What's the PC used for? Scientific and math calculations? Crossword puzzles?

I'd be careful about the power supply. Lean toward certain models by Seasonic, Corsair, Super Flower; a few others.

I'm guessing you have rejected an Intel platform.

Standard 2.5 inch SATA would be fine for a second SSD.

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
I would air cool the 5800X3D and choose a better PSU, and I would select a larger SSD and/or cheaper SSD if you are on a budget.

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S
PSU: Seasonic Gold 750W
SSD: WD SN850X
CHASSIS: Lian Li Lancool-216

I am not very knowledgeable about monitors at the moment, so I can't help you there - I am currently researching monitors myself.

Mar 11, 2023
I guess liquid cooling when not required is a personal choice related to what "best" might mean. I have no idea where that specific liquid cooler ranks within its category.

What's the PC used for? Scientific and math calculations? Crossword puzzles?

I'd be careful about the power supply. Lean toward certain models by Seasonic, Corsair, Super Flower; a few others.

I'm guessing you have rejected an Intel platform.

Standard 2.5 inch SATA would be fine for a second SSD.
PC used mainly for basic work and competitive Gaming
PSU I was thinking about Corsair.
I personally have been always a Intel user, however currently I can not justify the price compared to Ryzen/AMD for only a slight increase in performance... For instance give me a 6900xt intel equivalent for the same price I will gladly go for it, same story about the cpu. It would probably be couple of hundreds of bucks more for the same pc performance intel platform, for that difference I could buy 7900xt

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023
I would air cool the 5800X3D and choose a better PSU, and I would select a larger SSD and/or cheaper SSD if you are on a budget.

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S
PSU: Seasonic Gold 750W
SSD: WD SN850X
CHASSIS: Lian Li Lancool-216

I am not very knowledgeable about monitors at the moment, so I can't help you there - I am currently researching monitors myself.
Good advise, My friend wanted a liquid cooler but I will reason with him to go for the air cooler and invest that money in some another component, mainly because 5800X3D was not built for OC so he does not need triple fan liquid cooler.
I have never used seasonic psu how are they compared to corsair?

klavs

Proper
Feb 27, 2023
Seasonic and Corsair are both top-of-the-shelf PSU brands, but Seasonic is a manufacturer while Corsair is a reseller. It also depends on what models you compare - if you compare the "chaepest" 750W Seasonic vs an expensive Corsair, the Corsair might be better. From the tests I've seen during the years, the Seasonic seems to make the best PSU's and Corsair refurbishes and sells PSU's manufactured by others, some of them by Seasonic.

See also:

See also:

EDIT:

And for disks (2023-03-27):
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/best-deals-on-ssds

Last edited: