Hi all,

First of all, specs:

PC build age: around 3 years
Motherboard: Asus B560M A-AC
RAM: Trident Z 64gb DDR4 XMP enabled dual channel
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 (not overclocked)
CPU: Intel Core I7 11700KF
SSD: XPG M.2 S5 (C drive where OS is)
SSD: WD 2TBS where I store and play most games.

So im going to list the issues as it may be easier to read:

1. I was downloading a game called Star Citizen onto C drive, and after noticing it from afar that the progress bar was at the same % for over 15 minutes, I come to the PC and notice its entirely frozen, nothing could be done but to hard restart.

2. At restart it kept booting into BIOS and noticed the C drive wasnt being recognized in BIOS. Oddly enough I shut down the PC via BIOS, did a power cycle waited for 2 mins and reconnected and retried, this time it booted to windows fine.

3. At event viewer I saw this: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block

4. I saw in different forums and sites that this error usually indicates your SSD is starting to fail. I in panic enabled chkdsk /f /r in CMD and clicked restart. The check disk took a while and after the first run was done, it rebooted the PC and did it again (however the second time was faster). It eventually ended up in a blue screen saying windows cant repair/boot try some of the options. I tried to go into the CMD in this blue screen menu but it kept rejecting my admin pw for some reason, so I clicked reboot instead.

5. Booted to windows fine again, downloaded the ADATA SSD toolbox and ran a scan on C drive and both fast and complete scans showed no errors, and saying drive has 98% life left? hmm,

6. After all of the above, I completely removed star citizen from C drive and installed on D drive. Played fine for a couple of hours then (with Discord on browser in the background) suddenly the game froze and couldnt alt+tab but mouse and sound kept going, again had to hard boot.

7. Booted yet again fine to windows (although since all of this started after Asus logo a black screen before windows takes a lot more time than before)

8. Today I started my PC and kept booting to a blank blue screen with no errors. First I shut down manually and same happened, then I let it stay in the blue screen to see if something happens and PC shuts down. At that second I'm like yep, SSD is fried.

9. I see in some forums that the blank screen could mean a bad graphics driver or faulty monitor connections, so against all odds I switch connection from GPU to MB and I switch on the PC but it didnt show any image, just a black screen as if the PC was off, but noticed the same workload the PC usually goes through at boot, so I press enter, clicked my admin pw and boom, I see my NZXT CPU screen temp showing, my keyboard light profile loading and Im like WHAT IS GOING ON. I unplug DMI from MB and replug to GPU and there it is, windows booting fine.

By now, I'm really not sure what is causing all of this, btw the "bad block" error hasnt showed up again in Event Viewer, if it did, I'd know for a fact is my SSD dying.

Any chance anyone can help me out here?

Hankdp26

Honorable
May 27, 2019
You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU(if it's 3 years old like the rest of your parts, no need to mention it's age as a follow up). BIOS version for your motherboard? Does Adata's toolbox show any firmware updates for your SSD?
Hi Lutfij, thanks a lot for the prompt response:

PSU: Cougar 850+ Gold
BIOS: v2001 (latest according to Asus page for my MB)
Adata: just 3x checked, says its up to latest firmware.