Question PC Didn't turn On when UPS is connected to a specific wall power outlet ( well, for a while).

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
I'm confused.

I have my PC/Monitor connected to a 650VA UPS and that UPS is connected to a power-strip and that power-strip is connected to the wall outlet-(A).

---(power)---> Wall-outlet-----> power-strip-----> UPS----> PC & Monitor

Today morning I turned on my PC, didn't boot up. No fan-spin, no light... nothing. BUT my UPS POWERED MY MONITOR JUST FINE AS USUAL.

Out of curiosity I tried connecting the power-strip to a different wall power outlet-(B) close by in a different room and still the UPS didn't power my PC but powered the monitor like earlier.

Now at this point, I was screwed. Tried two outlets and my PC didn't turn on. I'm planning on painless suicide.

So I opened my PC, wanted to check if GPU/PSU/CPU/Case fans are at-least starting to move.

But this time with my PC open, i connected the power strip to another power outlet-(C) In that same room as (B), BUT it powered both my monitor and PC. (My suicidal thoughts went away)

Now I tried back the other outlet-(B) again in the same room, It powered my monitor but not the PC like earlier.

So i came to a conclusion that power-outlets (A) and (B) are screwed. But they powered my monitor through my UPS just not the PC.

My country's power distribution levels are not reliable always and this is a heavy-rainy season so I thought something is going wrong, as long as there is nothing wrong with my PC i'm good.

Now, I went back and connected my power-strip again to the usual power outlet-(A) and my UPS powered my PC and monitor like nothing happened earlier (like 20-30 mins after turning on my PC for the first time for the day).

Then on outlet-(C) I connected UPS, and only connected my monitor to the UPS and switched off the power-outlet to check if UPS is still powering the monitor and it worked as I expected. So I'm guessing my UPS is also functioning properly.

What the heck?

I went on an emotional roller-coaster ride and THINGS JUST FIXED BY THEMSELVES? I've been using this outlet without no issues for more than 10 years (A)!

Any idea on what happened? I just opened my PC and did nothing... plus I do not have equipment or anything to check power level outputs plus I'm not that advanced.

MY Specs :
  • UPS : Prolink 650VA Ener Home Pro700 UPS
  • PSU : FSP Hexa+ 450W (sorry cant find a better link)
Other stuff :
  • Ryzen 3 1200 (non overclocked) 3.1 - 3.4 GHz (4c/4t)
  • Gigabyte A320M HD2
  • Palit GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 StormX
  • G-skill Aegis 2 x 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz
  • 120GB SSD (os) Corsair Force LE / 1TB HDD WD Blue

I know for a fact that my PC & UPS are fine, I asked one of my friend who is living close-by and he mentioned a power surge 3 days ago in his house and fluctuation in power level in our city/area. I'm positive this is the reason but I need confirmation on possibilities of this causing such issues. Can anyone confirm? I just need to know if the power-fluctuation/surge can cause such an issue? Just a Yes is enough.

Help me understand what happened?

Ralston18

Titan
Check Prolink's website.

For the most part connecting a USP to a wall outlet via a power strip is not recommended.

Also have a knowledgeable person check the electrical outlets (A, B, & C) for loose connections and/or shorts.

The check should include other outlets in the same circuit(s).

Consider that the power-strip may also be at fault in some manner.

Does the power-strip include surge protection?

Surge protectors work but damage is cumulative and at some point there will be little or no protection left.

aranorde

Honorable
Oct 18, 2017
Check Prolink's website.

For the most part connecting a USP to a wall outlet via a power strip is not recommended.

Also have a knowledgeable person check the electrical outlets (A, B, & C) for loose connections and/or shorts.

The check should include other outlets in the same circuit(s).

Consider that the power-strip may also be at fault in some manner.

Does the power-strip include surge protection?

Surge protectors work but damage is cumulative and at some point there will be little or no protection left.

I'm planning to get someone to check the outlets, my only doubt is if unstable power / fluctuations can cause PC to not receive power to boot up?

And if it can be the reason, what should I do to boot my PC at those times.

I know a normal UPS only uses the battery when it stops receiving power from the wall and mine did that just fine. But what if receives low power while use? Will it go to battery mode or what?

I need help in understanding how exactly my UPS works.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Re: How does a UPS work.

Starter links:

https://www.quora.com/How-does-UPS-work

https://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/definition/uninterruptible-power-supply

I would not boot up if there are power fluctuations occurring.

If power is lost while the pc is running, the UPS will provide power via the battery but only for a limited time.

And that time is determined by the design of the UPS and the time is often overstated. Being determined under ideal conditions...

So if power does return, fully or partially, then the unit may start recharging the battery.

However, for the most part, electronic devices (including UPSs) do not like nor work well if the power source is under or over specifications. And may even be damaged if the under or over conditions is prolonged.