Question PC does not recognize sound card after installing new CPU cooler

Global elite

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
I had to install a new CPU cooler and i when i took the pump off, the CPU came off with it. I accidently dropped the CPU and there might be thermal paste on a pin (not sure). Miraculously the CPU still works, however there is now no sign of audio output.

The microphone still works but neither my speakers or headset is showing up. I have tried reinstalling realtek audio drivers and using different ports for the headset (front IO also don't work).

Is it possible that I have destroyed the onboard audio on the CPU but nothing else, and is there any way to fix it?

CPU:Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: MSI B550 Tomahawk
GPU: RTX 2070

Ralston18

Titan
Does Device Manager show any audio devices?

Ensure that under the View tab that "Show hidden devices" is checked.

Check Audio inputs and outputs, check Sound, video, and game controllers.

Right click the small speaker icon (usually located in the lower right corner) to open the audio menu.

There are 5 main menu choices and all choices lead to numerous windows, tabs, and properties.

Explore first but do not make any immediate changes. Just determine if the audio/sound configurations match what you expect to see.

Then start with the troubleshooters.

My thought is that some audio related setting has been reset to a default configuration that is not applicable to the hardware/software configuration.

Global elite

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Device manager only shows NVidia High Definition Audio and i have found that if i plug my headset into my monitor, it works. So the GPU's sound card works. I can't troubleshoot cause the devices do not show up

Ralston18

Titan
No audio devices when you right click the speaker icon and then "Troubleshoot sound problems"?

Does a "We're here to help" screen appear? [Seems to be something new....]

What about the other audio menu choices?

And especially "Open sound settings"....

= = = =

Another way to get to the sound settings is:

"WIN" + "I" > System > Sound

Check the audio configurations therein - especially Output Devices.