[SOLVED] PC is freezing, RGB freezing and artifacting ?

Aug 21, 2021
So to begin with this is my system
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING Z TRIO 8GB LHR
MOBO: MSI - MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB)
COOLER: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator
PSU:
Corsair 750W SF750 High Performance SFX Power Supply, 80 PLUS Platinum
SSDs: 960gb hyperx savage / Kingston 500GB SSD
FANS: Lian Li UNI SL 120mm x6
CASE: Lian Li PC-011D Dynamic Mini

When I built the PC a month ago 22/7/21. It was running smooth no issues really. until maybe a week in when the USB disconnect and connect sound would constantly play and the RGB would freeze on my pump and rad fans until the sound would stop however the PC wouldnt freeze. So I thought it was either just a bug with my xbox controller as it would only happen when I used that along with the wireless 2.4ghz dongle from microsoft for the controller. Or maybe I was overloading the PC with too many USB devices. I had my mouse charger, keyboard, audio interface, directly into the motherboard USBs and the dongle in the case USB port. Or either the USB header commander core was plugged into. However after a while this stopped, so I thought of it as a non issue, just some new PC issues until it settled.

This didnt cross my mind until a couple days ago. I downloaded cyberpunk 2077 on GOG as I was looking to play a new game. everything seemed smooth I played for about 10-15 minutes at high settings with ray tracing on. Then when you land at the bar in the game the game started chugging really badly so I thought "ok maybe my settings are too high" so I disabled some ray trace settings and tuned some other things. however it was still bad. So I paused the game and then it froze, and when I looked at my PC all the rgb on the pump, rad fans and RAM was frozen. I couldn't do anything so I hard reset the PC. I wanted to see if it was a one off so I launched the game again and was running smoothly and this time I had task manager open and HWinfo open on my other screen to see if anything was bad. All my temps were really good mid 60s for both cpu and gpu when the game was running. however after about 5 minutes the game started playing up again. I looked at other screen to see if anything was happening and everything seemed normal to me. when I paused the game and looked at my setting everything reverted back to the high settings so I fixed it again and it was still bad then everything froze again this time however I could still move my cursor around and the menus for the game, HWinfo and TM would highlight if I hovered over them but wouldnt open if I clicked on anything at all. So I hard reset again.

Again I was so unsure what was causing this and wanted to know what it was. So I opened HWinfo and TM again the relaunched the game. I noticed the GPU would be at 100% usage but I was told that was somewhat normal for cyberpunk since it was a demanding game. I paused straight away and turned off Ray Tracing and made my settings mostly medium with some things on high. The game seemed to be fine dot through the bar section of the game and the cutscene after then I had to do something for about 10 minutes away from the PC so I paused the game and when I came back everything was frozen but again could still move the cursor around. So another hard reset later I tried to relauch cyberpunk however it said it couldnt launch as GOG said "cyberpunk flatlined", I searched that up and every thing I read just stated that I had outdated drivers. So I updated my driver and everything worked for about 5 minutes when I paused the game and everything froze again. I was really annoyed and searched again why it was happening and everyone was saying that the game is so unstable after the latest update so I put the issues on that and uninstalled the game. However I went to play rocket league then that wouldnt even get passed the loading screen. However I could still quit the game and the rgb wouldnt freeze. I then tested Apex Legends to see if that was the same and again wouldnt get past the intro.

I resarted my computer and tried again on both those games and the same result. So I done a clean wipe with DDU in safe mode and downloaded a 2 update old driver then tested both games. and everything worked fine. So I thought maybe the driver I updated to was unstable and the driver I downloaded was good. So i tried cyberpunk again (I know probably stupid but I really wanted to play it) and got about 5 minutes in and my PC froze again. So i hard reset tested RL and that was broken again. done another clean wipe with DDU and went to test RL however it said that RL and apex were not installed. At this point I was so confused and worried. I went to install again but steam found all the files and it took about 30 seconds to "install both of the games" tested and everything was fine so I uninstalled cyberpunk. Until I tried Apex and that froze but i could quit through TM but when I did that heaps of little rectangles started popping up on my desktop (artifacting?) so I reset the PC and when i went to test again apex would white screen and give me an error message "apex engine error 0x887a0006" I looked it up and it said that there was a missing registry file in the GPU driver. I verified the apex files with steam and updated my driver and it worked fine.

I then played Apex with a mate for about an hour and a half no issues however when we wanted to switch games the game froze on the quit game button when i clicked it. So I opened TM and force closed it and then the artifact rectangle things happened again not bad this time. reset my pc again everything was good again. Played RL and orcs must die 3 with my mate no issues at all.

I havent had these issues until I tried playing Cyberpunk. What could it be? Ive searched up whats been happening and cant really find the issue. Any help would be amazing

Edit 1:
The things I've tried
-DDU and reinstalling old driver (worked for a bit then ran into issues again)

-Reset MSI afterburned settings even though I only had very very slight overclock because I'm pretty tentative with that and had the fans turned up with a custom fan curve.
Im about to open the pc up and reseat everything and see if anything was loose.

Solution
Try to update the bios to the latest, then disable CSM. Run DDU again but do not restart, download and install the latest amd chipset driver from amd website, then install the latest gpu driver from nvidia website. Just dont use any all in one update driver app, they sometimes contains downloadable driver that is old dated (tried this on myself).

Also put the ram stick in slot 2 and 4 if you put it on slot 1 and 3.
Try to update the bios to the latest, then disable CSM. Run DDU again but do not restart, download and install the latest amd chipset driver from amd website, then install the latest gpu driver from nvidia website. Just dont use any all in one update driver app, they sometimes contains downloadable driver that is old dated (tried this on myself).

Solution
Aug 21, 2021

I will try this out now and let you know how it goes if anything happens. However my ram sticks are in slots 2 and 4 should i change them over to 1 and 3 and see if thats better?